57 Cigarette power questions

OhioTbird

OhioTbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I posted a prior post that my cig. lighter power is no longer working. I tried to work on it today but made no progress.

Two things.
1) There is only one wire connected to the back. Is this correct? I didn't see a loose wire hanging around anywhere.
2) How do you remove it from the dash? It turns. it wiggles. But looking from the back I didn't see any way to detach it but there must be some way.

Suggestions are always appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I posted a prior post that my cig. lighter power is no longer working. I tried to work on it today but made no progress.

Two things.
1) There is only one wire connected to the back. Is this correct? I didn't see a loose wire hanging around anywhere.
2) How do you remove it from the dash? It turns. it wiggles. But looking from the back I didn't see any way to detach it but there must be some way.

The one wire is correct.That wire according to the wiring diagram connects to the light switch battery terminal. The back of the units unscrews from the front side.It may need to be coaxed a little.

Two things.

One of two problem areas:
First, have you tried the lighter in any other vehicle lighter socket to determine that the lighter itself is working? If it doesn't work, there is your problem. If it works move on.
Second, are you getting power to the "hot" wire to the back of the lighter? Put your (+) probe on the stud or nut and ground the other probe(-) end to determine if you have power to the lighter socket. You can use an "ice pick" or a voltmeter. If you have power, good, the problem likely with the lighter itself. If so the element of the lighter can be replaced. If you have no power to the lighter the problem would be found by tracing back to the power source and find out where you have lost power.
De-energize the system by disconnecting the battery before proceeding. Remove power wire nut, first. If you need to remove entire lighter socket it has an outer barrel that screws onto the inner barrel acting as a nut when the outer, lighter body, is inserted from the front of the dash.
I hope this will help.

This forum is a wonderful source of info. Thank you all.

How does the wire come off on the back? I gave it a tug and nothing, Didn't want to break anything.

This forum is a wonderful source of info. Thank you all.

How does the wire come off on the back? I gave it a tug and nothing, Didn't want to break anything.
If lighter is original it will be nutted. If a replacement it may be nutted or have a press on fitting. If you look at it You will be able to discern which it the attaching method..

Two things.

FIRST - are you saying the lighter does not work, or an accessory you plugged in isn't working. I had some accessory that used the lighter and didn't work. I spent a few hours on it. I could find nothing wrong. I discovered, while using an extension plug, that the plug on the accessory I was using was not long enough to make the positive connection. It worked with the extension cord. Live/learn.

Success. Took the part apart and found I had a blown fuse. Replaced and now working properly. Thanks for all the advice.

Back