57 body lifted off frame

B

bill.sanders2

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
has anyone tried to use a exterior frame to just lift up body off frame? My idea is to used c channel down both exterior sides of frame and slide them in between the existing frame and the body on the mounts and then use jacks to lift body off frame.

if anyone has comments please let me know.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

has anyone tried to use a exterior frame to just lift up body off frame? My idea is to used c channel down both exterior sides of frame and slide them in between the existing frame and the body on the mounts and then use jacks to lift body off frame.

if anyone has comments please let me know.
I had a lift to get the body off, I don't see a problem with your method, HOWEVER, before you lift body put bracing at top of both door opening front to back. I used L-angle iron that had holes in it every 2-3" then drilled holes inside to bolt the angle too. That should be all you need.

This is how I removed the body from the frame using a lift at the Restoration/Preservation Center. Notice the bracing at the door openings.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

i have the braces for the doors. can i ask what you used under the body to support the lift? looks like 2 x 4 lumber? thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
All I used was the 2 x 4s, because the body doesn't have much weight to it at all. The important thing is to brace the doors so the body doesn't fold in half.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back