57 Auto transmission lock tip | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

57 Auto transmission lock tip

• Thread starter Thread starter Ward 57
  • Start date Start date
Ward 57
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Now that I'm becoming more comfortable with this forum, I wanted to pass on a hint I heard many years ago ;
On the auto trans, instead of buying a separate lock for the shifter all you have to do is unscrew the knob with the button still on until it stops, it will rise up enough so that the release button can't be pressed down. Can't get it out of park that way, can't move it and can't start it and who would know the secret security feature.....Cheers my friends. I assume this will work with the 55 & 56's also.

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Now that I'm becoming more comfortable with this forum, I wanted to pass on a hint I heard many years ago ;
On the auto trans, instead of buying a separate lock for the shifter all you have to do is unscrew the knob with the button still on until it stops, it will rise up enough so that the release button can't be pressed down. Can't get it out of park that way, can't move it and can't start it and who would know the secret security feature.....Cheers my friends. I assume this will work with the 55 & 56's also.

Yes, this works with the 55-57 Thunderbirds with the automatic transmission.

Gil,

Attached is the article titled “Automatic Transmission Lock” written by Steve Frano from the May/June 1994 Early Bird Magazine.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Automatic Transmission Lock.jpg

WOW I learned something today about the security of my 56 T Bird, I always used the shifter lock that is placed on the gear shifter to lock it in place.

Attachments

• Shifter Lock.JPG
    Shifter Lock.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 1
Back