56 Color Code

Docj

Docj

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My '56 is black with matching black porthole hardtop/soft top and a red interior. My question involves the color code on the data plate. It has Color AK Trim XB. My understanding is that this would have come from the factory as a raven black car with a fiesta red top and a red/white interior. One website I found lists this as two-tone code 23. I've never seen this combination, but would consider returning it to the original colors when repainted. Though I've wanted one for many years, this is my first (and likely last) 'Bird. I am therefore relying on the wisdom of those who know these things better than myself. Am I reading this color combo correctly? Have you seen one like this? Is it possible to know how many left the factory with this combo? How would you aesthetically compare this to a Black/Black car (with red interior), as it currently stands?

Thanks,

Jeff
Paducah, KY

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My '56 is black with matching black porthole hardtop/soft top and a red interior. My question involves the color code on the data plate. It has Color AK Trim XB. My understanding is that this would have come from the factory as a raven black car with a fiesta red top and a red/white interior. One website I found lists this as two-tone code 23. I've never seen this combination, but would consider returning it to the original colors when repainted. Though I've wanted one for many years, this is my first (and likely last) 'Bird. I am therefore relying on the wisdom of those who know these things better than myself. Am I reading this color combo correctly? Have you seen one like this? Is it possible to know how many left the factory with this combo? How would you aesthetically compare this to a Black/Black car (with red interior), as it currently stands?

Thanks,

Jeff
Paducah, KY
Jeff,

The AK exterior paint code indicates that the color of your Thunderbird is Raven Black (A) with a Fiesta Red hard top (K).

Attached is the 1955-1957 Thunderbird Colors Percentage article taken from David Tulowitzky’s 1955 - 1956 - 1957 Thunderbird Registry.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Thunderbird Colors.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
Jeff,

The AK exterior paint code indicates that the color of your Thunderbird is Raven Black (A) with a Fiesta Red hard top (K).

Attached is the 1955-1957 Thunderbird Colors Percentage article taken from David Tulowitzky’s 1955 - 1956 - 1957 Thunderbird Registry.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Thanks!

Back