'56 Bird horn ring removal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lyn56bird

Last seen
Hello ...... Several months ago I purchased a very nice 1956 Bird from California. The car is in great shape, both cosmetically and mechanically, and so I am just spiffing up a few things here and there. I have the original '56 shop manual (still with the car), but in looking up how to remove the horn ring, it says "on the Thunderbird you have to remove 2 screws on the back of the steering wheel." But there aren't any visible screws, just the plastic and chrome parts of the back of the steering wheel, and the large locking collar for the telescoping wheel.

Does this horn ring come off by just pushing in on it, and turning it counter-clockwise??

Any help is appreciated ......

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes, this works just like the early Mustangs push down and turn counter clock wise...

Attachments

• 56 Dash.jpg
    56 Dash.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1
Welcome to the World of Early T-Birds. Glad to hear that you have the Ford Shop Manual. You will find a lot of helpful information in there that will help you to keep your T-Bird running well.

The 55s have the two screws on the back of the steering wheel. DON'T TRY TO TURN THE CENTER ON A 55!
Sorry to yell that. But things will break

Sorry , looking at page 253 (C) The shop manual Horn Ring Removal (fig23) can be removed by pressing down evenly on the ring and turning it counter clock wise until it lifts out. Yes as tater salad suggested in the 1956 shop manual page 253 On the Thunderbird, the horn ring is removed by first removing the (2) screws at the back of the steering wheel. I hope this did not cause any problems........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back