55 Tbird newbie- Can't figure how the soft top goes back on

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
B
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
:(Yes, I'm really embarrassed about having to ask this.....but I need help. We just got a 55 thunderbird w/a convertible soft top and it's our first classic convertible. Unfortunate the gentleman we got it from was too old to show us how to get the soft top on and off. I think some of the parts loosened up when we took the top off and we can seem to figure out how it goes back on and there is no video on how the top is suppose to go on. There's some springs hanging that I'm not sure where it was or is that's how this bar is suppose to be positioned. Can someone please take a video to show me the best way to put a soft top back on and usually what's the best way to take it off? We're still learning about the car...Thanks everyone.

:(Yes, I'm really embarrassed about having to ask this.....but I need help. We just got a 55 thunderbird w/a convertible soft top and it's our first classic convertible. Unfortunate the gentleman we got it from was too old to show us how to get the soft top on and off. I think some of the parts loosened up when we took the top off and we can seem to figure out how it goes back on and there is no video on how the top is suppose to go on. There's some springs hanging that I'm not sure where it was or is that's how this bar is suppose to be positioned. Can someone please take a video to show me the best way to put a soft top back on and usually what's the best way to take it off? We're still learning about the car...Thanks everyone.
Ehh
a

I also have a 55 Tbird and it’s been a journey making it into a driver. Based on my experiences unless you are extremely mechanical I would find an interested convertible top installer and pay to get it right.
It’s a challenge doing it yourself. Offer to supply the parts and maybe labor. It’s take two physically fit people to raise and lower the top. Cover the paint area behind the top storage area when putting the top up and down. I can share all my mistakes as you move along. Good luck. Don’t get discouraged you have to build a network of Tbird guys. I didn’t know any and wasted money.

Birdnewbie,
Did you have any luck with a video? It looks like there aren't many replies to this thread, and I'm basically in the same boat. I have a frame that I've never seen on or open. I have no idea if it has all the parts or is even the correct top for the car. There are a couple of bars on springs sticking up behind the seat that I assume the top mounts to. But a little help from the pros would be greatly appreciated.
Thank Jh

Hi,
Having just converted my 57 T-Bird from the 1955 style soft top which was on it when I bought it, many years ago, to the correct 1957 style soft top, maybe I can help. Either type of soft top folds up and is stowed behind the seat, the Owners Manual explains how to do this. With the 55 style top, you must be careful to follow the directions exactly to avoid punching a hole or holes in the canvas top. But from your questions, it seems you need to go a little deeper than that. The mechanism that "holds" the top framework and allows you to fold it behind the seat is called the SWINGARM. The swing arm is bolted to the floor and is pinned to two pivot points, one on either side of the soft top frame, which are located very close to the side clamps. Also, the swingarm has 2 large springs that facilitate the movement of the soft top frame to its stowed position behind the seat. Why anyone would disassemble the swing arm from the soft top is unusual. If one wanted to remove the soft top from the car, all you have to do is unbolt the 4 bolts between the swing arm and the floor and everything would come out as an assembly. If you have dangling springs and a swing arm disconnected from the soft top, you do have a problem. I would guess that a lot of convertible shops might not want to fool with it. But all is not lost. Is your convertible top, in good condition and mounted on the soft top frame? Or is it need of replacement? If it is in good shape and you just want to put it back in the car, that is not so difficult. In either case, you should get the Ford Sports Car Trim and Sealer Manual which covers the 55 to 57 soft tops.

Thank you Doug great information.

My soft top is basically just the frame. The material that remains on is torn to threads.
I will order a copy of the owners manual, in the meantime I'll hope I have the correct frame and most of the pieces.

Hi,

Given that what you have is a bad top and pieces of the frame and swingarm, you might consider the following. Depending upon how much time and money you plan to put into this project, you might consider contacting Jewel's Body Shop and talk to Jewel @ 920-989-1505. He is located in Wisconsin and can completely restore what you have to brand new, just like it left the factory - repainted, rechromed, new top, new weatherstripping, new canvas and send it all back to you (swing arm attached to the top all assembled) ready to bolt into your car. If you are missing parts or parts are broken - he will replace/fix them. He advertises in the "Early Bird" and this is how I got my top converted from 55 to 57 style and restored ( I live in Massachusetts). It is not cheap, but will save you a lot of time and it will be concourse correct. If you are going "full restoration" this is the way to go, but in any event, give him a call and see what he can do for you. As a minimum, you may need some parts from him.

If you do go with Jewell, you should still order the Trim and Sealer manual as you will still need to make so adjustments as you install the top and swingarm assembly in you car.

Good luck,
Doug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you saying that the soft is NOT electrical? It gets removed just like the hardtop??

Are you saying that the soft is NOT electrical? It gets removed just like the hardtop??
Im not aware of any electric tops on the early birds. They fold down manually, behind the seat.
If you're seeing an electric motor, it's most likely for the seat.

Back