55-57 t-birds brake light switch

ron56

ron56

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, I converted my 56 bird to DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. After about one year I notice my brake lights (bad switch) weren't working so I ordered a Standard SLS27 which looked to be a replacement for the original. When I opened the new box I found a note that stated "This product is not approved for use with silicone brake fluids."
Does anyone have a part number that will work and is compatible with silicone. If not I guess I will need to go the mechanical route.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Go mechanical or go back to Dot 3. This is a common issue with with DOT 5

Go Mechanical
No regrets
Very easy install

I went mechanical. No regrets at all. Simple installation. Bought it from CASCO Classic Thunderbird parts for $32.

Ron Francis makes quality electrical components and has a low pressure brake switch that is compatible with silicone brake fluid.
Part number is SW-30, I installed one and have not had any issues. Summit sells them.

I switched to DOT 5 brake fluid over 20 years ago in both my 57 T-Bird and and 66 Mustang and have never had a problem with the brake light switches. I really like the DOT 5 due to it's non hydroscopic property .

Thanks to CSPIDY for the brake switch info. One small correction the part number is SW-32. For a 80 year old body it was far easier to change out the switch vs trying to get under the dash to install the mechanical version. I missed the best opportunity back a few months ago when I had the dash out after painting. The
SW-32 switch comes with a new connector and terminals. The cost was $31 about the same cost of the mechanical switch.

Glad it work out for you, it’s a shame that with all of the modern technology today most electrical repo switches aren’t worth the box they are shipped in.

Back