55-57 fender louver trim plates

Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a '57 and many years ago I pulled all the trim off to have it repainted. A couple of years ago I noticed the driver's side louver trim was upside down. At the time when I re-installed all the chrome trim I think I remember a locating pin along with the mounting bolts. I've even seen some pictures in the 'early bird' that had the same issue. Was it replaced with a right side trim plate or did I install it incorrectly not knowing the difference.
I have noticed the parts catalogs have separate part numbers for the left an right sides. Do I have 2 right side emblems or did I just install it backwards?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have been told that mine were swapped from left to right because of what you describe, but I tried to un-swap them and even tried to flip it on the same side. no go. they only go the way they were.
they may not be correct but the car runs well the way they are.

Below is a Reader Tech Tip from the January/February 1995 Early Bird magazine that explains the correct positioning of the side louver trim.
chevrons.jpg
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting that maybe there was an assembly line issue because mine fender is drilled out so it will only go on the way it is.
If you notice the 55 next to the white 57 the trim goes the other way
Mine is an early December 56 build, how about yours?

By golly Ward that is how my white 57 is.
Very interesting that maybe there was an assembly line issue because mine fender is drilled out so it will only go on the way it is.
If you notice the 55 next to the white 57 the trim goes the other way
Mine is an early December 56 build, how about yours?
Mine was built Feb.1st 1957. That just happens to be my 3rd birthday. I only found this out when researching the build date to get the correct parts for my power steering as they used late '56 parts until about June of '57. I wonder if the new left side lovers are the correct fit and is it worth trying?

This is the latest I Got:
Ward,

I was wrong when said that the louvers could be switched from right to left or left to right. There is a left and a right that can be installed incorrectly on the designated fender. The first picture I sent it was installed correctly, but the same part could have been installed incorrectly if it had been flipped end for end on that same fender, that is the reason you see so many pictures where it is not properly installed, it is very easy to install incorrectly. New pictures of a car we are restoring now, the body is still in primer. I installed the louver for a photo shoot only. Photo # 1 is correctly installed, Photo #2 It is incorrectly installed, same fender, same part. Sorry for the confusion in my first response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back