390 Motor Block Repairs - 1964

Rick Fullmer

Rick Fullmer

Bird Caretaker
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have motor block cracks in the valleys around the lifters. Has anyone successfully welded repair block cracks?
7DE75CDE-3663-4A1A-8EB6-FAE8BF92915B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Is it a true crack or just casting mark sometimes it looks like a crack

If you aren't loosing coolant it's probably not cracked. I agree with the above it's probably just casting lines.
If it is cracked it's not worth repairing.
You can have it Magnafluxed to be sure.

It’s at an out of state motor shop in WY, so I assume they know for sure. Trying to figure out if it’s worth keeping the original motor. I’ve already committed to a new block. I know you can stick weld cast steel.

Cast steel is not hard to weld. But blocks are cast iron, and yes it can be done but process is a little more difficult. Usually that means very expensive. 390 blocks are not that hard to come by.

Ask them if they Magnafluxed the block, that is a very unusual place for a crack without seeing moved metal. Freeze damage is the only way and I am just not seeing real evidence...

I had a mechanic tell me that my block was cracked when it was actually a head gasket many years ago. He bet me the cost of the magnaflux that it was cracked.........it wasn't. A new head gasket (1969) and no problems since. I agree with all of the above comments this is a very odd place for a crack.

Back