2005 Trunk can't open -- not the regular problem

V
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Trunk can't open -- not the regular problem. i was changing my battery when the trunk closed. there is no battery connected. the key behind the seat does not work (im guessing because the battery is not connected). any help thank you !

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Trunk can't open -- not the regular problem. i was changing my battery when the trunk closed. there is no battery connected. the key behind the seat does not work (im guessing because the battery is not connected). any help thank you !
If it's like most cars the key behind the seat is to unlock the seat fold down, not to unlock the trunk. Turn it to unlock and hold it there while pulling the seat forward to fold it down. Then you can crawl into the trunk with a flashlight. There should be a emergency trunk release puller somewhere near the trunk catch mechanism. Pull that and the trunk should open.

If it's like most cars the key behind the seat is to unlock the seat fold down, not to unlock the trunk. Turn it to unlock and hold it there while pulling the seat forward to fold it down. Then you can crawl into the trunk with a flashlight. There should be a emergency trunk release puller somewhere near the trunk catch mechanism. Pull that and the trunk should open.
Thank you for the quick reply !! my appologies .. i forgot to put the model in .. its a 2005 t bird convertible so there is a wall there behind the driver seat and when i peak back there, there is the top

Not sure what vehicle you’re thinking of, but the key behind the seat of a 2002-2005 Thunderbird is specifically for locking/opening the trunk without using the remote on the key fob.

If the positive battery cable was not touching any ground metal surfaces, you can still plug in a battery booster in one of your cigarette lighter ports in the dash and then electrically open your trunk.
Thank you!!! ill try that .. if the positive cable is touching something will it short out my electrical or just not work ? im not sure what its position is..

That lock behind the driver seat opens the trunk it’s on a cable when turning the key clock wise, I know this because I just used it a week ago

hi, it appears that my trunk opening up issues isn't electric and not the key Behind the seat .. the lock itself is jammed, any thoughts at getting at it or would i take it to a body shop or a mechanic? this is a new one for me !

Can you feel resistance rotating the key? It should roll slightly harder as it moves the mech. and should move about a quarter turn. The latch is a simple thing where if you hear the solenoid click or know the key is functioning, the lid may be stuck to the seal? Press down on the lid compressing the seal. Try pulling up as advised both when an assistant operates the latch. Should the latch be moving, it should open. Even tapping around the lock area may loosen the tang for just a second?

Press down on the lid compressing the seal.
For me, this was the key. I walked around the rear of the car pressing on the trunk lid in various places. Then I gave the key a turn, and the lid popped open. Thanks!

The key lock behind the drivers seat is in a round, slightly recessed area easy to reach. (Not so easy to see with a black interior) It has a mechanical cable routed to the trunk lock. Fiddle as needed to rotate. Click... you're in. Lift rams are $20 on Amazon and well worth the swap. The trunk lid bonked me at least five times before I saw the need.
The key lock behind the drivers seat is in a round, slightly recessed area easy to reach. (Not so easy to see with a black interior) It has a mechanical cable routed to the trunk lock. Fiddle as needed to rotate. Click... you're in. Lift rams are $20 on Amazon and well worth the swap. The trunk lid bonked me at least five times before I saw the need.
What are Lift rams? I am 87 yr old female and having no luck opening my 2005 Tbird trunk. battery dead. Used key in slot on driver door. No luck. What now????

What are Lift rams? I am 87 yr old female and having no luck opening my 2005 Tbird trunk. battery dead. Used key in slot on driver door. No luck. What now????

If you have a battery failure and you are trying to open the trunk, you have to use the key cylinder located behind the driver's seat. The key slot on the driver's door is to disable the trunk release control button so the trunk can't be opened from the inside.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Trunk Lock.jpg

Lift rams/arms: when you are successful opening your trunk, they are the black expanding rods that hold the trunk lid in the open position. There are two, one on each side.

They only need replacing if your trunk will not stay in the fully open position with your hands, off the trunk.

Some people referred to them as " trunk struts". You also have the same type of part that holds the hood up when inspecting the engine. They are not an expensive part to buy or have a shop replace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back