2005 - tips on replacing brake switch

Rickyboy

Rickyboy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I was beginning to have intermittent problems with the shifter not wanting to come out of Park. I saw a post with the same problem indicating it was the brake switch. I confirmed that the brake lights were not coming on when the shifter stuck. I bought the replacement switch and pulled out the old one. The plunger on the new switch was about 3/8 inch longer than the old one making me think the part did not match. I talked to a Ford service tech who told me to install the new switch and the plunger would ratchet in to the right length as the brake pedal was operated. Sure enough he was right.

Tips on replacement: Remove the plug from the back of the old switch. Turn the switch about 1/4 turn clockwise to remove. You will have to depress the brake pedal when you install the new switch since the plunger is too long. Release the brake pedal and it will push the plunger into the switch to the proper length. Operate the pedal a few times to seat the plunger to the proper length. Don't pull on the pedal toward you as that would push the plunger in too far. Replace the plug to the back of the switch and test the operation of the lights and shifter.

It's a simple fix but that longer plunger had me scratching my head for a while.
Brake switch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

how to release the shifter from park to drive. Is there a easy fix
Thanks in advance for reply.

The few Infinitis I have driven in the past have a small cover by the shifter somewhere at once removed you can physical unlock the shifter until you get the brake switch fixed. I would assume Ford has a similar way to unlock shifter so you don't get stuck somewhere.

how to release the shifter from park to drive. Is there a easy fix
Thanks in advance for reply.
What year is the car? Subscribers get notifications for all the forums, and without the year you can’t tell if you could help. The solution to a problem varies with the era of the car.

My owners manual states to unlock the shifter, turn the ignition switch to on, depress the brake pedal and turn the ignition switch off. Still holding down the brake pedal start the engine, the shifter should now release. This problem is an indicator that your brake pedal position indicator switch (brake light switch) is going bad and needs to be replaced.

Back