2005 space behind the seats

L

Lumpkyns

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Ok first, I fully admit my limited knowledge about my bird. I just know I love it and want to learn everything I can. But for now I need YOUR knowledge. I have the 2005 50th anniversary edition, soft top (in case that helps u with my question) So you know that space behind the seats, not the carpeted hard surface, but the cloth behind it that snaps on each end? As u probably know, each end has 3 or so snaps and only opens a few inches on each end, leaving all that open space under the cloth that's a mystery to me...? I don't know what that's for, does it have something to do with a different top maybe? Well anyway, here's my problem. We believe we have a dead creature in there, like a mouse. The stink is that of a dead animal. Im guessing it got in while in my garage with the top down but regardless, it's in there. Upon searching every available inch in that car including around the engine, wheels, etc.. We've concluded that's the only place it can be. But as u know, we can't access it. Is there a secret to getting inside/under that cloth to access this poor dead creature that's stinking up my bird? Short of tearing the material, I'm lost. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you for any help u can offer.. Sandi

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Ok first, I fully admit my limited knowledge about my bird. I just know I love it and want to learn everything I can. But for now I need YOUR knowledge. I have the 2005 50th anniversary edition, soft top (in case that helps u with my question) So you know that space behind the seats, not the carpeted hard surface, but the cloth behind it that snaps on each end? As u probably know, each end has 3 or so snaps and only opens a few inches on each end, leaving all that open space under the cloth that's a mystery to me...? I don't know what that's for, does it have something to do with a different top maybe? Well anyway, here's my problem. We believe we have a dead creature in there, like a mouse. The stink is that of a dead animal. Im guessing it got in while in my garage with the top down but regardless, it's in there. Upon searching every available inch in that car including around the engine, wheels, etc.. We've concluded that's the only place it can be. But as u know, we can't access it. Is there a secret to getting inside/under that cloth to access this poor dead creature that's stinking up my bird? Short of tearing the material, I'm lost. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you for any help u can offer.. Sandi
Not to ruin your day but those cars came with both tops. I hope you have the hardtop. Also, could you send a pic so we can see exactly where your talking about, I’m lost.

Not to ruin your day but those cars came with both tops. I hope you have the hardtop. Also, could you send a pic so we can see exactly where your talking about, I’m lost.
The hardtop didn't come with it. When I put the soft top down, it completely covers the area I'm referring to so I can't get a picture. I'll have to try to get it from inside while the top is up. Which I'll gladly do as soon as I can. Thx!

I just looked better this time. the cloth covers the bare metal and motors that run the soft top. The space is for the soft top when it’s down.

I just looked better this time. the cloth covers the bare metal and motors that run the soft top. The space is for the soft top when it’s down.
Is there a way to access it? Like I said, there's snaps on each end but the cloth only folds back a few inches and I can't get in there to remove the dead mouse that's stinking it up horribly.

The hardtop didn't come with it. When I put the soft top down, it completely covers the area I'm referring to so I can't get a picture. I'll have to try to get it from inside while the top is up. Which I'll gladly do as soon as I can. Thx!
I took a look in the trunk and I think that would be the easiest way to access that area. Removing the pop pins that hold the trunk lining plastic pieces looks to be the best way to get in there.

I took a look in the trunk and I think that would be the easiest way to access that area. Removing the pop pins that hold the trunk lining plastic pieces looks to be the best way to get in there.
Oh wow.. I never thought about going in that way. I'll check it out and get back to either update the good news or cry for more help.. Thanks so much.

Be very careful while in that area. Wear protective gloves. The metal edges are extremely sharp as the framework & support pieces are stamped out but never smoothly finished.

I reeeeeeeally do NOT want to deal with unbolting the top. I'm afraid it'll never be the same afterwards, and leak or something. But I've GOT to get out what's in there. Uhh!
You can get in there from both sides so you might he able to see it without taking the back off, also I need to double checkvofbthe skirt comes off separate

I have been in that area many times installing backup camera, light relays, etc...
Access through the trunk by removing the trunk interiror front and side panels is very good.
An extendable mirror and flashlight might help you spot the issue. And yes, there are delicate wiring bundles, pivot points and convertible top components in that area you have to avoid; there are also side drains where your problem rodent may have come
to rest (shown about 50 seconds into the above video) For a deeper dive you can prop the convertible top up a bit at the front and gain access from inside the car by raising the convertible top well fabric on each side. If it does turn out to be a deceased rodent or nest wear a mask and rubber gloves to remove.

Consider getting one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9C6P5D/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20

$30 and one day delivery. No mechanic should be without one, its useful for cylinder bore inspection, finding lost items in tight places, examining the inside of walls, plumbing inspection, etc..

I would NOT unbolt the top.

I should have added that there is a "drop off" at the forward edge of the convertible top well....
This is where the wiring bundles turn downward and run forward alongside the transmission tunnel...
That is a very hard area to see well (the inspection camera is perfect for this) unaided and a very
likely place for a rodent to set up a household.

Last edited:
You can get in there from both sides so you might he able to see it without taking the back off, also I need to double checkvofbthe skirt comes off separate
Thank you. I can't figure out a way based on just unsnapping the snaps since the cloth only opens a few inches each side.

Thank you for going to so much trouble to help. I've not figured out yet what method I'm going to try first. I plan to research all these responses and attempt something one way or the other right after Christmas. Hubby works 12 hr days and hasn't had the time and I dont have a lot of faith in figuring it out by myself, but we shall see. Thx again.

Having done both, I would recommend having a small limber person remove the back of the top with some type of powered ratchet (long threads). It's not difficult. With the front much higher chance of damage. As a 3rd option you could remove the cuby from the trunk. You could get lucky if what you're looking for is in the center and easily accessible

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the REM removal instructions from the service manual In case anyone would like to print or save them.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird BlueREM Removal - 1.jpgREM Removal - 2.jpgREM Removal - 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Having done both, I would recommend having a small limber person remove the back of the top with some type of powered ratchet (long threads). It's not difficult. With the front much higher chance of damage. As a 3rd option you could remove the cuby from the trunk. You could get lucky if what you're looking for is in the center and easily accessible
Can't tell u guys how much I appreciate your advice and words of wisdom. I dont understand half of it..lol But I'm sure gonna give it my best shot to learn what I can and do what I gotta do.

Back