2005 replacement battery in New Zealand.

tbird.blue

tbird.blue

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello fellow Thunderbird owners in New Zealand. Well after 11 years the battery in my 05 has finally decided it has had enough.
There are no Motorcraft batteries sold in NZ, so I'm wondering what alternative batteries have been fitted to the Tbirds in NZ? The battery appears to have some unique features so not many similar batteries around. The Ford dealer here in Taupo was talking about a Century Yuasa brand being a possibility but I'm still waiting for him to get back to me after 8 weeks.
I think an Optima red top 34 can fit or be made to fit too.
Any experiences?
Ian

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

99% of our members are in North America. Very unlikely you will get a reply about where to buy a part in New Zealand.

Instead of wating to hear back from the Ford Dealership, call them back. Go to another mechanic if necessary.

Hello fellow Thunderbird owners in New Zealand. Well after 11 years the battery in my 05 has finally decided it has had enough.
There are no Motorcraft batteries sold in NZ, so I'm wondering what alternative batteries have been fitted to the Tbirds in NZ? The battery appears to have some unique features so not many similar batteries around. The Ford dealer here in Taupo was talking about a Century Yuasa brand being a possibility but I'm still waiting for him to get back to me after 8 weeks.
I think an Optima red top 34 can fit or be made to fit too.
Any experiences?
Ian
I would look for a battery that has the same physical dimensions so that the clamp will be able to hold it in place. Mine was replaced by the previous owner by an interstate battery (who knows what's available where you live!). The clamp sort of holds it in place, but not sized to make best use of the clamping system. So I would focus in on size, especially vertical height where you want the clamp, irregardless if battery length, to hold it down. The other thing that is strange about the battery is the original one had a vent tube that threaded itself out of the trunk. However, I think that batteries these days are often sealed so I am not sure but I don't think that venting is as important as it once was.

In discussing the new T-Bird with some of my club members, it was mentioned that the location of the battery, being adjacent to the spare tire, would cause the rubber on the tire to deteriorate over time due to the gasses venting from the battery. My initial reaction was that modern batteries are sealed and wouldn't vent, but now I'm not so sure.

After one of my club member’s spare tire exploded after he closed the trunk, I agree that its the age of the tire and the inflation pressure, but I also think that since it sits right next to the battery that might be a factor. Make sure that the external vent tube is attached to your battery, so the fumes from the battery don't effect the spare tire.

doug7740
1955 thunderbird Blue

In discussing the new T-Bird with some of my club members, it was mentioned that the location of the battery, being adjacent to the spare tire, would cause the rubber on the tire to deteriorate over time due to the gasses venting from the battery. My initial reaction was that modern batteries are sealed and wouldn't vent, but now I'm not so sure.

After one of my club member’s spare tire exploded after he closed the trunk, I agree that its the age of the tire and the inflation pressure, but I also think that since it sits right next to the battery that might be a factor. Make sure that the external vent tube is attached to your battery, so the fumes from the battery don't effect the spare tire.

doug7740
1955 thunderbird Blue
Thanks Doug, that venting has been one of the concerns, along with the sizing to enable the hold-down system to work properly and the correct placement of the poles. I think I have found a suitable replacement now. It will be shipped to my local auto supply tomorrow, so fingers crossed. The local Ford dealer had no interest in helping after a visit and two phone calls, nothing but 'crickets' for the last 8 weeks or so.
Ian

I think I have found a suitable replacement now.
Which is?
No surprises on the Ford dealer. The Service Advisors in America get paid commission so they wouldn't care about selling a battery either.

Last edited:
Which is?
No surprises on the Ford dealer. The Service Advisors in America get paid commission so they wouldn't care about selling a battery either.
It is a Century Yuasa N65DMF Ultra Hi Performance battery. 750 CCA. The measurements are in the ball park and poles check out on the right side, so here's hoping. I will confirm the result once fitted.

It is a Century Yuasa N65DMF Ultra Hi Performance battery. 750 CCA. The measurements are in the ball park and poles check out on the right side, so here's hoping. I will confirm the result once fitted.
Well the battery described above is the correct replacement for the Ford item. Fitted perfectly without issue, with the venting attached as per the Motorcraft battery. Just had to block off the extra vent on the other side of battery and it was done. Hopefully this helps the few other NZ'ers who own these Tbirds on this forum in the future :)
Ian

Back