2005 refurbish / restore leather steering wheel airbag cover

Kangeli22

Kangeli22

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I just bought a 2005 Thundbird cashmere. The car is I great shape but the center of the steering wheel has worn leather. Has anyone used the company Fibrenew that does leather work? any other suggestions ?
1607265100787.png

I just bought a 2005 Thundbird cashmere. The car is I great shape but the center of the steering wheel has worn leather. Has anyone used the company Fibrenew that does leather work? any other suggestions ?
View attachment 14665
Sorry, I can't see where it is worn. Looks like my '02 when I had it brand-new. All I see is a scuff mark on plastic where air bag is.

Hello Kangeli, congratulations for you Tbird cashmere. The center of the steering wheel is not made with leather. It is made with plastic (it is an air bag cover).
I guess you can find a spare part in the USA.
Best regards from France.

Sorry, I can't see where it is worn. Looks like my '02 when I had it brand-new. All I see is a scuff mark on plastic where air bag is.
Try a white eraser to remove the mark. Cheers

View attachment 14665
I would think you could find a matching color of paint or have one mixed and put in a spray can and put a light spray to cover the rub marks.
Or, there are used ones for sale on Ebay, and maybe your local Ford dealer can find a new one in stock somewhere.

If you can find an auto auction near you, many have amazing "cottage" industries that grow up around them to recondition cars for resale. I've had several repairs done on headliners and dashes at one of those shops nearby - invisibly and inexpensively.

Back