• Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here

• Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 4th of July Special Offer **LIFETIME MEMBERSHIPS** Guest! You can upgrade your account today and unlock member only features of the site and remove all Google/Amazon ads! Click here to learn more. Thanks for supporting the club!

• 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

2004 soft top speed adjustment possible?

R

racsix99

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Is it possible to adjust / control the drop speed / force of the softtop? I have to stop the closing of my ragtop at about the 3/4 closed position to avoid having it "crash down" in an uncontrolled manner. Is there an adjustment that can be made to maintain the tension until completely shut to avoid the free fall that occurs otherwise?

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You may be low on hydraulic fluid for the top or have a leak in the lines, fittings and or cylinders. You may want to check for leaks first then maybe fluid level in pump assembly.

I've noticed this too. Thought of putting my hand to cushion the impact of course not at point of contact.

You can start with this thread and then do some more searching for any questions that you might have.

Is it possible to adjust / control the drop speed / force of the softtop? I have to stop the closing of my ragtop at about the 3/4 closed position to avoid having it "crash down" in an uncontrolled manner. Is there an adjustment that can be made to maintain the tension until completely shut to avoid the free fall that occurs otherwise?
I always stop the top a few inches up anyway, to make sure that the lever is fully pulled back before the top goes completely down. Mine goes pretty fast both directions, but it’s certainly not a problem.

Back