2004 silver pinstripe factory, dealer or aftermarket?

Mark James

Mark James

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 2004 has a slightly peeling black pinstripe which I figured was added by a previous owner but now I’m not so sure. I’ve seen another 2004 silver model with the same pinstripe.

I am going to get the car detailed and ceramic coated shortly, but want to get the pinstripe removed. Or at worst, removed and a new one reapplied.

My detailer said that if it’s done at the factory though the clear coat could have been applied over it so removal is a big no.

If it was done by the dealer or aftermarket then I might risk seeing a darker line but it could be removed.

Any sage advice from owners? Thanks.

There is a small East Tennessee used car dealer that bought a lot of Thunderbirds and had them all pin striped in 2022.

Back when these were new pin stripping was no longer popular. These were not done at the factory.

Google your VIN number and see if you can find old photos where it was listed for sale and see if it had pinstripes.

There is a small East Tennessee used car dealer that bought a lot of Thunderbirds and had them all pin striped in 2022.

Back when these were new pin stripping was no longer popular. These were not done at the factory.

Google your VIN number and see if you can find old photos where it was listed for sale and see if it had pinstripes.
Good to know and thanks. As long as it wasn’t factory (clearly not) I’ll just get it removed. Even a slight faded color difference is better than pinstriping.

Besides, after removal you might end up with a subtle "ghost stripe" which might actually look kind of cool...?

Besides, after removal you might end up with a subtle "ghost stripe" which might actually look kind of cool...?
That’s my hope as well. Either a cheesy vinyl pinstripe or a subtle ghost stripe. No brainer!

It’s definitely vinyl tape as on the other side a small piece has peeled off. As my replacement trim kit is massively backordered I’m going to get it removed during my detail/ceramic coat as soon as I can schedule it.
Vinyl tape can be removed but the older it is the harder it is to remove. I always put the car outside in direct sunlight on a very hot day to remove older vinyl stripes, tape, and graphics. You will have adhesive to remove after pulling the vinyl off - goof off or similar products will do this but test a small area first to make sure it doesn’t harm the paint.

My 2004 has a slightly peeling black pinstripe which I figured was added by a previous owner but now I’m not so sure. I’ve seen another 2004 silver model with the same pinstripe.

I am going to get the car detailed and ceramic coated shortly, but want to get the pinstripe removed. Or at worst, removed and a new one reapplied.

My detailer said that if it’s done at the factory though the clear coat could have been applied over it so removal is a big no.

If it was done by the dealer or aftermarket then I might risk seeing a darker line but it could be removed.

Any sage advice from owners? Thanks.

The factory never clear coated pin stripes they were hand painted if any . Most were done at the new car dealer by a striper with a roll of tape .it was a250 charge cost them 30 .
What you could run across is a body shop might blend with clear and clear over a stripe . You can use a single edge razor blade pick at starting point if it comes up alittle its not cleared apainter at a body shop should be able to tell you also . If you take it off more than likely you will see where it was . If you can see diffrent paint color more than likely you will hafto put one back on . Striping with tape looks easy but its not . I personally like hand painted if you hafto re stripe you can even get a tbird logo done . When I did striping tape my record was 2 minutes . Start to finish .

The factory never clear coated pin stripes they were hand painted if any . Most were done at the new car dealer by a striper with a roll of tape .it was a250 charge cost them 30 .
What you could run across is a body shop might blend with clear and clear over a stripe . You can use a single edge razor blade pick at starting point if it comes up alittle its not cleared apainter at a body shop should be able to tell you also . If you take it off more than likely you will see where it was . If you can see diffrent paint color more than likely you will hafto put one back on . Striping with tape looks easy but its not . I personally like hand painted if you hafto re stripe you can even get a tbird logo done . When I did striping tape my record was 2 minutes . Start to finish .
I think given the location of the stripe removing It is a risk I will take. It’s right above a natural line.

Back