2004 PCR - - dents in rear driver quarter

Philsbird

Philsbird

2004 PCR
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have two "wavy" dents, about fist sized, in the driver side rear lower quarter. These appear to be an imperfection in the panel mold. You have to look at the right angle to notice them. Has anyone else noticed this issue? 2004 PCR.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

No, have never seen anything like that. Poor body damage repair?

Hmmm, mines a 2002 but no. Just spent a lot of time going over the exterior last week to mark imperfections as the car went in for a complete repaint Monday this week.

The "lower quarter" at the rear of the car is arguably the wrap around bumper cover. I'm driving a 2004 Premium and have no issues whatsoever, but I'm curious as to where exactly your issue is showing itself.

Is this a newly purchased car? would like to see a picture if possible.

Hmmm, mines a 2002 but no. Just spent a lot of time going over the exterior last week to mark imperfections as the car went in for a complete repaint Monday this week.
I am considering a re-paint on my 2002. May I ask what price range you have found? I have the hardtop as well.

I have two "wavy" dents, about fist sized, in the driver side rear lower quarter. These appear to be an imperfection in the panel mold. You have to look at the right angle to notice them. Has anyone else noticed this issue? 2004 PCR.
Possible reason: panel needs adjusting at the fasteners. If torqued too much, or if there were slight movements in the panel while tightening, it can cause the panel to pucker. (If I have understood this to be the plastic panel)

Possible reason: panel needs adjusting at the fasteners. If torqued too much, or if there were slight movements in the panel while tightening, it can cause the panel to pucker. (If I have understood this to be the plastic panel)
Yes. I think you've described the situation perfectly. I'd Attach a photo but it's difficult to see. They arent so much dents as they are waves. They are not glaring at all. Just wondered if others had the same issue. The car has not had any damage/repairs and it is the plastic bumper cover which led me to think it may have been an issue with the body mold.

The "lower quarter" at the rear of the car is arguably the wrap around bumper cover. I'm driving a 2004 Premium and have no issues whatsoever, but I'm curious as to where exactly your issue is showing itself.
Left rear lower quarter behind wheel well.

I am considering a re-paint on my 2002. May I ask what price range you have found? I have the hardtop as well.
A full take it apart repaint from custom shops start at 10K around here. Locals doing their classic car restorations use a painter at a local Maaco shop. Their best urethane paint job is $1449.90 plus any prep work more detailed than prep sanding and urethane primer.

I'm getting the doors adjusted to make the lines match up, and getting all imperfections, chips, road rash spots, missing clear coat, all especially taking care of, and also adding a third clear coat for around $2500. On top of that I have purchased separately the 4 Thunderbird front and side emblems, that I will install later after paint cure and a good buff out next spring. A car just had came out of the booth when we delivered ours and the paint was already glass smooth and reflections were true, so this guy knows what he is doing.

So ask local good guys club members or other locals to see who does painting. I have shot cars, was an aircraft mechanic and painted small aircraft, so know a bit about it. I never thought I'd take my car to a Maaco shop but after a local well known detailer and a big custom shop who wanted the 10K+ suggested this guy, in it went! I'll post pictures when it is complete.

I'm not doing my white hardtop. It's in perfect condition and we like the white contrast to the Thunderbird Blue car.

Mark Durham
Post Falls, Idaho

Back