2004 Passenger Side Air bag & Dash Mat

ricklove

ricklove

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Purchased a dash mat from a major dash mat company, and notice that it has a large cut out for a passenger side air bag. I don't see an air bag "panel" for the passenger side. Does it magically appear from the dash?

Could you post a photo? The 2002 dashboard mat has an obvious opening for the bag. I’m wondering if they sent you a 2002 mat.

The 2002 cars have a pronounced outline on the dash for an airbag and my velour dash cover has a cutout so it can deploy, unimpeded, if needed..

Capture.PNG

My 2004 passenger side dash does not have an air bag "cut out" panel. From the picture, you can see the "AirBag" lettering, but no cut out panel.DSCF5891.JPGDSCF5887.JPG

Last edited:
My cover is from the same outfit; "dashdesigns.com"; I'd put the cover on as is if it were me..

Love your work table, looks like mine. Lots of detail products!

If the 2004 air bag is deployed, where does it come from?

If the 2004 air bag is deployed, where does it come from?
Look at ricklove's picture of the dash, you can see a faint almost horizontal line running from right to left, angling up slightly towards the "Airbag" designation. That sectuion would rupture and the airbag would balloon out. I hope you never have to need it, though.

Evidently the 2002 models have an air bag cover panel. What about the 2003, 2004, and 2005 models?

All years have passenger air bag in the same location, for 2002 dash has visible groves, for 2003 to 2005 the groves are
on the underside of the dash, not visible.

All years have passenger air bag in the same location, for 2002 dash has visible groves, for 2003 to 2005 the groves are
on the underside of the dash, not visible.

I assumed that might be the case. Seems an odd design, but the Ford lawyers (same lawyers as the Pinto guys ??) must have known what they were doing.

That would be "dashdesigns.com"; although some here have said they've found better fitting alternatives...
The fit on mine is OK, but not perfect by any means.

Back