2004 have a fuel filter between the pump and the motor?

JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Mechanic friend urged me to check on this and install a new one. Most important. Thx

Yes there is on the drivers side of the car behind the left front wheel. Its a little hard to get to but easy enough if you are handy and patient. Once you locate it you can change it in 15-20 minutes.

Thanks, fdf. Another down and dirty job to do. Cheers

Just changed out the fuel filter on my somewhat new to me (had it 6 months) 2004 w/23k miles. Easy enough to access and remove the filter (and bracket). Removing the filter from the bracket was tedious and took longer than the whole rest of the job.

Well I think the location is the same for all years, but the filter replacement may differ....the Motocraft I just bought says 2002-2003.
Here is the spot on a 2003:

Here's a pic of my 2004 fuel filter that I replaced yesterday. See the directions of the filter ends? I thought that I installed it the same as it came out. Prior to removal of the old filter, I removed the #5 fuse. When I went to finish up this morning, I reinstalled the fuse, but the battery was dead??? I put my hand held battery booster on it for about 30 seconds and tried starting it again. It cranked a few times, but did not start (may not have had enough "juice" in it. I have a charger on now and will retry later. Please advise asap. Thanks!!
DSCF5975.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did u remove #5 fuse?

I read another post that the op suggested removing that 5A fuse, then cranking the engine a few seconds to help purge some of the excess fuel from leaking when you remove the fuel lines. Changed the filter, installed the fuse, and tried starting the car. Cranked for just a few seconds and battery (less than a year old and less than 3k miles) was dead. No issues with battery the last time I drove it 2 weeks ago, or again 3 days ago when I put it on the lift. I put a "booster" on the battery for a few minutes and tried to start it again. First strange thing was the horn alarm now sounds every time I open the door. It clears when I push the silence on the fob. When I tried to start it, again dead after a few cranks. Does maybe the battery need to be "reset" or something once it died and was charged again?????? I currently have it on a trickle charger and will see what happens in a few hours. Thanks!!

Yes there is on the drivers side of the car behind the left front wheel. Its a little hard to get to but easy enough if you are handy and patient. Once you locate it you can change it in 15-20 minutes.
Did you have to release the pressure on the fuel system, if so how did you do it, pull the fuse?

Back