2004 Gearshift knob removal

C

Carsinbatesville

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm looking for a way to remove the gearshift knob on my '04. Past posts have suggested to heat it then pull it off. For some reason this sounds a little weird. Any other ideas?

1. This is not a part for sale.
2. Add your model year in the subject in future posts.

OMG, heat the knob to remove it? Wherever you saw that please try to find that and correct it.

To remove the knob, get a thin plastic knife or plastic putty knife, and insert & pry just above the chrome ring at the bottom of the knob. After the ring drops you will find a set screw that must be loosened.

The gear shift know is easily removed by sliding down the shaft the collar that is directly under the knob. This will reveal the set screw that holds the knob to the shaft. Mind you the collar does not slide easily but will need a little force to get it started. Once the set screw is loosened the knob will require some wiggling as you pull straight up & then POP!! it is off.

Set screws removed and I can get about a half inch play on the knob on the shaft but that's it. Seems like it's hitting some type of stop that needs to be pushed in?

Are you doing this while shift is in park or neutral? I always have done the removal in neutral so I forget to mention that.

Got it! Thank you so much. Now I just have to find a plastic gear selector plate in better shape than mine. The previous owner had a tiny dog which rode right next to the gear selector and his nails scratched up the plate quite a bit.

Got it! Thank you so much. Now I just have to find a plastic gear selector plate in better shape than mine. The previous owner had a tiny dog which rode right next to the gear selector and his nails scratched up the plate quite a bit.
I had the same issue so I purchased a "Dash Kit " selector plate from a company- https://ebay.us/DhwnCS

I removed the shifter knob, cleaned off the original plate with alcohol, and adhered the new plate on top of it using the self stick adhesive that came on the new plate. Worked well.

Last edited by a moderator:
2004 Shift Knob Removal

In neutral, collar down, set screws removed, Won't move. Should I be pressing the button/stop on the dash side of the shifter?

2004 TBird

TA Daaa!!!! Knob wouldn't move at all.... Used WD-40. Waited a few. Still stuck!!!

Got long handled screwdriver for leverage....Bingo!!!

2004 TBird

TA Daaa!!!! Knob wouldn't move at all.... Used WD-40. Waited a few. Still stuck!!!

Got long handled screwdriver for leverage....Bingo!!!
This method worked like a champ after giving up on the "pull straight up" method. It felt like I would brake something wiggling and pulling up. The only thing I would add is I used a small piece of 2X4 placed very close to the knob as a fulcrum for my ling handle screw driver to press down on. instant success with very little pressure.

Back