2004 Engine won't rev over 600 rpm, runs rough, dies and won't start

JW in Dixie

JW in Dixie

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Changed the fuel pressure sensor as OBD says it was faulty. Started the engine and it ran rough at 500-600 rpm and would not accelerate. After a minute or so it died and will not restart. Won't hit a lick. Any ideas?

Changed the fuel pressure sensor as OBD says it was faulty. Started the engine and it ran rough at 500-600 rpm and would not accelerate. After a minute or so it died and will not restart. Won't hit a lick. Any ideas?
Sounds like you have no fuel pressure and the sensor was telling you that was the case. Check the actual fuel pressure on the manifold when you try to start with a gauge. Fuel pumps go and are a PIA to do. I did mine myself a few years ago , but i am an experienced mechanic. Job requires a special tool to unscrew pump assembly and the tank must be partially lowered to access pump. Recheck your codes with your scanner (i assume you reset them) see if the code is still there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update - put the old sensor back on and it runs. Still showing a light.
There was gas in the rubber tube that connects the sensor to the EGR, and that should not be. No wonder it wouldn't start. Sending it back for another one.

Back