2004 Can you Charge the Battery from Under the Hood?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
I think I already know the answer for this, but can someone confirm that, indeed, they are not there? My Volvo XC90 is equally, if not more, difficult to get to the terminals if I need to jump start it but it has two terminals in the front saving a boatload of time.

I think I already know the answer for this, but can someone confirm that, indeed, they are not there? My Volvo XC90 is equally, if not more, difficult to get to the terminals if I need to jump start it but it has two terminals in the front saving a boatload of time.
you are correct in already knowing the answer of no battery terminals in the front at all

That's what I use and have a connector I can just plug it into the cigarette lighter.

Great question though, I didn't know either or look for one!

I ran into this issue with my 2002 when I did the dumb thing and disconnected the battery and closed the trunk while the convertible top and windows were up. I did a lot of searching and this post was the only one I found mentioning the terminals in the front of the car, so I wanted to share a couple photos.

I found the positive terminal, along with a little grounded bolt, under the passenger tire well cover. There are two plastic clips at the top that can be popped out to access. In the photos here, my tbird is on jack stands so the wheel is dropped low, and I had already entirely removed the wheel well cover, which required removing a couple clips under the car, so keep that in mind if the car is on all four wheels.

As you can see in the last picture, I clamped on a jump start battery, which energized the car computer long enough for me to open a door with the automatic window lowering function to clear the top, then I turned on the car with the key to lower the window completely.

The positive terminal was nicely marked with a red cover:
IMG_0938.jpg

Closer shot also showing the small grounded bolt for the negative lead clamp:
IMG_0939.jpg

My jump start battery clamped on, which allowed the car computers to power up and assist opening the door:
IMG_0940.jpg

I ran into this issue with my 2002 when I did the dumb thing and disconnected the battery and closed the trunk while the convertible top and windows were up. I did a lot of searching and this post was the only one I found mentioning the terminals in the front of the car, so I wanted to share a couple photos.

I found the positive terminal, along with a little grounded bolt, under the passenger tire well cover. There are two plastic clips at the top that can be popped out to access. In the photos here, my tbird is on jack stands so the wheel is dropped low, and I had already entirely removed the wheel well cover, which required removing a couple clips under the car, so keep that in mind if the car is on all four wheels.

As you can see in the last picture, I clamped on a jump start battery, which energized the car computer long enough for me to open a door with the automatic window lowering function to clear the top, then I turned on the car with the key to lower the window completely.

The positive terminal was nicely marked with a red cover:
View attachment 30650

Closer shot also showing the small grounded bolt for the negative lead clamp:
View attachment 30651

My jump start battery clamped on, which allowed the car computers to power up and assist opening the door:
View attachment 30652
Wow - you do learn something new every day. This is the first I've ever heard of this. Thanks for sharing!
(PS I keep mine on a NOCO Genius 10 charger w/pigtail, never had any issues whatsoever.)

Back