2004 Alarm Disable

T

TopDownMadness

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Fishing to see if anyone ever discovered a way to disable the alarm system? I changed the battery out in the garage thinking not a tricky job and success was at hand. Then I closed the trunk and opened the driver door setting off the alarm (which is shockingly loud). Tried to poke and move things to shut-up but had to dash to the house for the keys. I'm certain the neighbors were delighted to hear it honk away. It does go silent for a few seconds before resuming the show.

My Wife is a little twitchy setting and disarming alarms. I explained having the key fob or the key would have snuffed it but she asked a reasonable question. Can you disable the 'feature' entirely?

Fishing to see if anyone ever discovered a way to disable the alarm system? I changed the battery out in the garage thinking not a tricky job and success was at hand. Then I closed the trunk and opened the driver door setting off the alarm (which is shockingly loud). Tried to poke and move things to shut-up but had to dash to the house for the keys. I'm certain the neighbors were delighted to hear it honk away. It does go silent for a few seconds before resuming the show.

My Wife is a little twitchy setting and disarming alarms. I explained having the key fob or the key would have snuffed it but she asked a reasonable question. Can you disable the 'feature' entirely?
I need that, also. I have a schizophrenic alarm in my 2004 and can't find a car alarm psychotherapist to fix it.

I need that, also. I have a schizophrenic alarm in my 2004 and can't find a car alarm psychotherapist to fix it.

Likely more complicated than pulling a fuse but will post any findings. Noticed the flashing LED 'armed' gizmo on the dash. I thought that 'laser barrel' was a light sensor? Thinking both? Seeing that thing not flashing when locked would mean success. My Wife has a valid propensity for tripping car alarms. Didn't help the matter when I set this one off for two minutes!

Here is the information from the Owner's manual regarding the Perimeter Alarm System.

The remote entry system allows you to:
• unlock the vehicle doors without a key.
• lock all the vehicle doors without a key.
open the trunk without a key.
activate the personal alarm.
• arm and disarm the perimeter anti-theft system.

• operate the illuminated entry feature.

PERIMETER ALARM SYSTEM
The perimeter anti-theft system will warn you in the event of an unauthorized entry to your vehicle. If there is any potential perimeter anti-theft problem with your vehicle, ensure ALL remote entry transmitters are taken to the dealership to aid in troubleshooting.

Arming the system
When armed, this system will respond if unauthorized entry is attempted. When unauthorized entry occurs, the system will flash the turn signal lamps and will sound the horn. The system is ready to arm whenever the key is removed from the ignition. Either of the following actions will pre-arm the alarm system:
• Press the control on the remote entry transmitter.
• Press the driver or passenger door lock control while the door is open.

Disarming the system
You can disarm the system by any of the following actions:
• Unlock the doors by pressing the control on your remote entry transmitter.
• Unlock the doors with a key. Turn the key full travel (toward the front of the vehicle) to ensure the alarm disarms.

Triggering the anti-theft system
The armed system will be triggered if any door, the trunk or the hood is opened without using the key or the remote entry transmitter.

You may need to verify if the Disarming routine is Permanent or only temporary.

Here is the information from the Owner's manual regarding the Perimeter Alarm System.

The remote entry system allows you to:
• unlock the vehicle doors without a key.
• lock all the vehicle doors without a key.
open the trunk without a key.
activate the personal alarm.
• arm and disarm the perimeter anti-theft system.

• operate the illuminated entry feature.

PERIMETER ALARM SYSTEM
The perimeter anti-theft system will warn you in the event of an unauthorized entry to your vehicle. If there is any potential perimeter anti-theft problem with your vehicle, ensure ALL remote entry transmitters are taken to the dealership to aid in troubleshooting.

Arming the system
When armed, this system will respond if unauthorized entry is attempted. When unauthorized entry occurs, the system will flash the turn signal lamps and will sound the horn. The system is ready to arm whenever the key is removed from the ignition. Either of the following actions will pre-arm the alarm system:
• Press the control on the remote entry transmitter.
• Press the driver or passenger door lock control while the door is open.

Disarming the system
You can disarm the system by any of the following actions:
• Unlock the doors by pressing the control on your remote entry transmitter.
• Unlock the doors with a key. Turn the key full travel (toward the front of the vehicle) to ensure the alarm disarms.

Triggering the anti-theft system
The armed system will be triggered if any door, the trunk or the hood is opened without using the key or the remote entry transmitter.

You may need to verify if the Disarming routine is Permanent or only temporary.
Installed a new battery on 2003 Tbird after old battery/trickle charger failed.. Now I can't start the car - it appears that the PATS system &/or the Engine Immobilizer needs to be reset. I was able to get the car started once & drove it for 15 mins (so fuel pump & engine do work) ; but have been unable to replicate the steps taken to make that happen again. Can you give me the instructions to get my baby running again? Any guidance is appreciated!!!

I've tried multiple things:
1) unlocking the drivers door lock several times, including letting the key sit there 10 mins

2) inserting the key into the ignition and letting it sit in the run position for 10+ mins

4)Disconnect the battery and trying steps 1, 2 or 3 above again

5) I've not tried pulling the alarm fuse (dont know which fuse it i)s, Nor have I learned what diagnostic codes have occurred (I dont have the proper equipment.

Thanks in advance for your prompt reply! Once I get it started again I'll drive to the Dealer and have them apply permanent fix.

One thing not mentioned here, on my high mileage T Bird the alarm system barely worked, could unlock doors, and
unlock trunk but nothing else. I figured the keyless remote module was bad. For grins I ordered two new remotes
from the link on this site.

Once I programed both remotes, the alarm system worked perfectly, so you may simply have some key fobs that
are not working properly.

2005 50th Annv Tbrd. Trying to find out if my alarm system is original equipment or after market..... Anyone have any info?

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed a new battery on 2003 Tbird after old battery/trickle charger failed.. Now I can't start the car - it appears that the PATS system &/or the Engine Immobilizer needs to be reset. I was able to get the car started once & drove it for 15 mins (so fuel pump & engine do work) ; but have been unable to replicate the steps taken to make that happen again. Can you give me the instructions to get my baby running again? Any guidance is appreciated!!!

I've tried multiple things:
1) unlocking the drivers door lock several times, including letting the key sit there 10 mins

2) inserting the key into the ignition and letting it sit in the run position for 10+ mins

4)Disconnect the battery and trying steps 1, 2 or 3 above again

5) I've not tried pulling the alarm fuse (dont know which fuse it i)s, Nor have I learned what diagnostic codes have occurred (I dont have the proper equipment.

Thanks in advance for your prompt reply! Once I get it started again I'll drive to the Dealer and have them apply permanent fix.
Reviving an old thread. I too just had to change my old battery. Removed, and installed new one. The alarm did trip, so I disarmed using the physical key in the door. Vehicle turns over, but will not start. I have tried everything above (haven't tried to search for an alarm fuse though). I scared the vehicle and no codes are appearing (not related to emissions codes) Of course, I need to get the car emissions tested so hopefully I can get it started soon as I'll have to drive it for a bit for the emissions codes to show up in the computer.

Back