2003 Transmission repair cost options

J

johnnyjames

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello to everyone!
My transmission needs to be replaced or rebuilt. The rebuild was quoted at $5900. My T-bird has 84,000 miles on it. Would it be worth it to pay for the rebuild, or buy a remanufactured transmission? The remanufactured tranny is between $2400 -$3400. The shops I've been to will only do rebuilds. Can I replace it myself? I have the tools, lift etc.? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!! Johnny

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

What issues were you having that you feel you need a replacement or rebuild?

And if you do need a rebuild that’s VERY expensive. Be careful where you buy remains as well.

An average rebuild + upgrade costs here in the PNW for a 5R55S transmission our Tbirds have is around $3,200 - $3,600. This transmission was used in multiple FMC vehicles for a decade. highly advise to shop around and interview the tech to see if they are aware of the weak side-bushings wearing out and allowing the HOT Tran fluid to loose correct pressure affecting shifting. A rebuild upgrade should address this known issue with the 5R55S.

I priced this 5 Mos. back. At two shops Both, wanted 2,650.00 Plus tax, Kansas City Area.

Also, these 5R55 transmissions are very fluid sensitive IMO. When purchasing my 2003, the former owner offered up that he had recently taken the car in for a trans fluid change. After a week of driving it, I felt like the trans shifting was not right and I suspected the fluid change had been done with some type of multi vehicle trans fluid. After a partial change that included dropping the pan, I replaced appx 6 quarts with Motorcraft Mercon V. I cannot believe the difference in how much better the trans behaves with just a partial fluid change. Remember, Mercon V is somewhat of a dinosaur these days, and there are MINIMAL actual Ford licensed fluids still available. The Valvoline product hasn't been licensed for sometime now. The Castrol Mercon V is licensed but it looks like it is being phased out. It pretty much just leaves the Motorcraft product (and maybe the Walmart brand, Spectrum?). For sure, the "all trans" products are formulated for later tech transmissions and while they may work in older transmissions, IMO, they are not ideal. I really should really quit saying "IMO", because these are the opinions (as I read them anyway haha) of a retired Ford transmission test engineer, Mark Kovalsky. He has a pretty decent internet presence on forums; mostly Ford-trucks.com. Even a partial fluid change made a big difference in my case. I will pull the pan again in 5k and if it still mostly clean, I will change it a couple more times to more dilute the offending fluid. Just posting this as you may try this first if you think the tranny could be on its way out.

Hello to everyone!
My transmission needs to be replaced or rebuilt. The rebuild was quoted at $5900. My T-bird has 84,000 miles on it. Would it be worth it to pay for the rebuild, or buy a remanufactured transmission? The remanufactured tranny is between $2400 -$3400. The shops I've been to will only do rebuilds. Can I replace it myself? I have the tools, lift etc.? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!! Johnny
Hi I have been having Transmission trouble also, do not rebuild yours get a remanufactured because they correct all the problems those Tran have . Those trans are a defective design . Here is the name of a company with a lot of information "Street Smart Transmission" look it up on google streetsmarttransmission.com Good luck .

Back