2003 Throttle Body Cleaning

wiggy

wiggy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Want to clean my throttle body.Manual has a caution "Throttle Body bore and plate area have a special coating and cannot be cleaned or possible damage to throttle body can occur" I cannot picture area to be avoided. Any help indentifying would help. Thanks

Technical Service Bulletin 12-8-1 address the issue of vehicles exhibiting Diagnostic Trouble Codes P0505, P0506 and/or engine idle RPM fluctuation and hard starts by cleaning the throttle body.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Throttle Body 1.jpg

Throttle Body 2.jpgThrottle Body 3.jpg

Good input !
I am planning to do a top engine cleaning and lube using the "SEAFOAM SPRAY TOP ENGINE CLEANER & LUBE " system. Does this same concern apply to this product as well?
Thanks

I have never had an issue with a dirty T.Body. I find that installing a new air filter every 10-12K miles and using Chevron Techron every 3-5K miles does the trick. Consumers report tested most of the additive cleaners and rated Techron the best. Don't bother buying it in a retail store as they will charge you twice the Amazon/Ebay price. I opt for the 32oz bottle as it's the best buy. At one time I used the reusable/oil coated air filters and I discovered that small amounts of the oil coat the T.Body and attract dirt. Paper filters are so inexpensive on Amazon/Ebay it seems hardly worth the effort to clean/oil a reusable filter. Changing them frequently will keep performance and fuel econ at an optimum.

Removed and cleaned mine. Not very dirty at all at 69000 but now I know where I stand and its easy to do.

Back