2003 replacement battery

zkilo

zkilo

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
looking for vented battery, new, 2003 bird. Also looking to find vent vent for same battery. Thank you for any help.

I got mine off the shelf at AutoZone. The vent is a small tube about 6 inches long that connects to the battery and vents out the back of the car.

looking for vented battery, new, 2003 bird. Also looking to find vent vent for same battery. Thank you for any help.
Please follow the directions when posting in the future. The subject "Battery" does not summarize your post or indicate the model year.
model-year-TBF.jpg

That
Why do we need to vent with today's sealed batteries? Inquiring mind wants to know.

That’s a fair question. The AGM battery that I bought is a sealed battery. They say that these don’t need to be vented and can be oriented in any direction, yet the one for the 2003 T-Bird has the vent nipple coming out of the top of the battery to attach the vent tube, so go figure.

Why do we need to vent with today's sealed batteries? Inquiring mind wants to know.
Batteries produce Hydrogen gas and it is highly flammable. Remember the Hindenburg? The matting in the AGM batteries is there to absorb the gas. Sealed batteries should not typically need venting. However, under high charge conditions, there may be some release of hydrogen gas. Batteries in an engine compartment have some free air flow. The TBird's battery is in the trunk, a closed compartment. If you do have a vent tube on the battery it's recommended to vent it to the outside to prevent any build up of Hydrogen gas.

Batteries produce Hydrogen gas and it is highly flammable. Remember the Hindenburg? The matting in the AGM batteries is there to absorb the gas. Sealed batteries should not typically need venting. However, under high charge conditions, there may be some release of hydrogen gas. Batteries in an engine compartment have some free air flow. The TBird's battery is in the trunk, a closed compartment. If you do have a vent tube on the battery it's recommended to vent it to the outside to prevent any build up of Hydrogen gas.
Thank you. That is good to know and makes perfect sense!

Back