2003 lift points with floor jack?

David Gjertsen

David Gjertsen

Cruising Gig Harbor
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all. I have a 2003 w/19000 miles that has never been in the rain. I would like to lift it up onto 4 stands so I can inspect and clean the under carriage. The owners manual says not to use the rear end as a lift point and after looking at it I understand.... it’s tiny. With the 3 different X braces I don’t see where to set the floor jack safely to be able to pick up the whole front and the whole back. Has anyone lifted one of these with out doing any damage?
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello all. I have a 2003 w/19000 miles that has never been in the rain. I would like to lift it up onto 4 stands so I can inspect and clean the under carriage. The owners manual says not to use the rear end as a lift point and after looking at it I understand.... it’s tiny. With the 3 different X braces I don’t see where to set the floor jack safely to be able to pick up the whole front and the whole back. Has anyone lifted one of these with out doing any damage?
Thanks
Jack on the 4 solid floor pan pads near were you would use the factory jack. I place a 2x4 at each place to even out the contact surface. Do not jack on the floor pan at all or you will bend the pan. You can see a more solid surface on the pan close to the factory jack points. I have used these on my 03 with no damage. Also jack real slow

Thanks
I have also jacked under the front or rear lower (A) swing arm using a 2 x 6 on the jack pad to give more contact surface. I did it on the back and front when I changed all brake pads and calipers. No damage or problems and jack slow and don't try to lift the car 6 feet up in the air. I also removed the front X brace under the car to repaint it

When I changed out my suspension, I used a floor jack, along with jack stands on the four jack points
that Ford designed into the car. There are actually notches where the factory jack goes, which is where
I placed the jack stands. When using the floor jack I used the nearby area where the factory X bracing
is with the two bolts fastened to the car floor pan.

I bought a thick round rubber pad with a grove cut through it to give clearance for any car with the downward flange that is available on E Bay. It fits right on top of any floor jack's lift pad and it is cheap.

I bought a thick round rubber pad with a grove cut through it to give clearance for any car with the downward flange that is available on E Bay. It fits right on top of any floor jack's lift pad and it is cheap.
What does that pad look like? Thanks!

I don't have a picture of it but it looks like a large hockey puck with a machined slot in it to clear the flange

I don't have a picture of it but it looks like a large hockey puck with a machined slot in it to clear the flange

Thanks for this idea. I just ordered one off eBay for about $8.00. Easier than my cut 2x4 method.

If you have a table saw, jut cut a .50 inch deep .25 wide slot in one 2x4 wood, this will eliminate using two pieces.

The flange is a pinch weld and is designed to bear weight on either side of the flange but close to the flange is where the strength is as you move out towards where the body curves up to form the rocker is where it gets weak and no pressu should be put there you will push it in and possibly deform it

When I changed out my suspension, I used a floor jack, along with jack stands on the four jack points
that Ford designed into the car. There are actually notches where the factory jack goes, which is where
I placed the jack stands. When using the floor jack I used the nearby area where the factory X bracing
is with the two bolts fastened to the car floor pan.
Do you have a pic of the x bracing is located? Thanks

Here is photos of the front and rear jack points. You can see the notch where the factory jack would go.
I used a floor jack, and placed it where the X brace terminates with the two bolts.

front jack point.jpgrear jack point.jpg

So you placed the floor jacks on where the x brace bolts to the floor pan. It didn’t dent the floor. I’m wanting to replace some suspension parts on mine.
Thanks

Sorry for long delay, I placed the floor jack on the X brace mounts with no problems. Did this on all four sides
to replace all the suspension components. Actually did this on both of my T Birds.

My floor jack has a big round jack point about 4 or 5 inches round, and no problems on the car.

Thanks
AF6462E4-BA30-405E-854B-D1B912ECB045.jpeg

Back