2003 Engine light reading code

When you post to the forum, please include your model year in the subject. Added for you.
model-year-TBF.jpg

Sometimes it can be as simple as the gas cap or using sub-optimal gas, the owner's manual warns you about this...
When my light came on I changed the gas cap, started running 93 octane and ran some Techron additive in one tankful...no more light in 5,000 miles...

2003, 7500 miles. Will check gas cap. I’m running highest oct. gas I can find around here.
Been in storage a long time, first 300 miles no problem after long storage.

Check engine light on. How can I test or get it off?
You can either buy a OBD II monitor, plug is under the bottom of dash just right of the steering wheel. Follow instructions in operating manual of the tester. Write down the code(s). While you are there, you can erase the codes, which will turn off the engine light. When it comes on, it means something was detected by the onboard diagnostics, so it turns that light on to warn you.
You can also just go to AutoZone and they will let you use it free, hoping you will buy the part(s) while you are there.
In my opinion, you should buy one and keep it in your trunk.
By the way, the codes are in the back of the book and will tell you what the computer detected. Some are easy, some not, depends on how much you know about engine work. Good luck!

The Check Engine light can be a "catch all" for various issues, an OBD scanner is a good investment and the better ones can be used on ALL your modern cars, some will even tell you the most prevalent cause for a particular fault for a specific car (e.g.a 2002 Thunderbird) by linking to a server database - mine does...

2003 7600 miles. Hi, I went to o’Reilly’s and they loaned me their reader. I took it out and plugged it in.
The read out was po442, leak detected in evaporator return system .
Can any one help me on this problem? Thanks Bruce

I replaced my own gas cap and it still comes back every 6 months or so. Tried Smoke testin my case the leak was too small to find. Any good mechanic with the smoke machine can smoke test, find the leak if it is real, and fix. Do not let someone just start replacing parts. If it is at the PCV under the hood, a good afternoon project is you can carefully take it off and clean it. I have not yet gotten around to that personally during the 6 months the light is not on. It is on now and the weather is perfect so I will buy a spray can of electronics cleaner and follow my own advise this weekend. (I design these kinds of things for various customers). Biggest problem will be to not break the connectors...... More monday.

You are so right on breaking the connectors. Replaced the EGR on my 04 and the final tightening with that huge wrench that is required I broke a tube nipple. Was able to glue it with super glu, reinforced with hot melt glue and it is holding after 2 years. Best to all

I took off the positive connection to the battery for a few minutes, replaced it and all was well.
This is a lot of unneccessary work and also resets everything else in the car. Get an OBDII scanner and you can read and reset the codes with the touch of a button. Some OBDII scanners are dirt cheap, work on most cars, and really every automobile owner should have one for troubleshooting purposes.

Last edited:
It will take a couple drive cycles and depend on how much you’re driving it each time. If you don’t have a code reader, run it down to local auto parts store. They are usually able to check the codes for you.

Back