2002 Thunderbird - Trunk won't close (latch doesn't engage)

VolleyballJIM

VolleyballJIM

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Recently I cannot get the trunk to close. Checked Youtube and here and doesn't seem to be another entry for it. Checked how to do them "in general" over all cars and will fool with those solutions, but wondered if anyone knows how to get it to "click" and secure when I close...Tx!

Check to see if the latch is already in the closed position. This stops it from grabbing hold of the latch bar. You may need to put in a screwdriver or similar to pull open the latch while pushing the button for the truck release to get it to open and accept the latch bar. Latch adjustment may be necessary if it happens again.

This may sound like a silly answer, but maybe the latch is sticking? Have you tried some wd40 or a silicone spray. I had a similar problem with the latch on the passenger door.

This may sound like a silly answer, but maybe the latch is sticking? Have you tried some wd40 or a silicone spray. I had a similar problem with the latch on the passenger door.
No, something is blocking/stopping it from latching . . .

Hello @VolleyballJIM ! Did you ever get this issue solved? I am having the same issue. It used to only have this problem from time to time, but now our trunk lid will not even latch. I have tried adjusting and even shimmed the loop on the trunk lid further down to catch better... this did not solve the issue. It really seems like the latch its self will not engage. Just checking if you found a solution. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Double check your inside trunk emergency release "T" pull handle, the one that glows. It can get pulled out and stuck on the edge of the slot in the plastic trim at the back of the trunk.
Just had this in mine!

Back