2002 Outside mirrors stopped working

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Anyone had the problem of the outside mirrors just stopped working? Unable to
adjust them.
Guessing probably the mirror switch in the dash, had same issue and replaced it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone had the problem of the outside mirrors just stopped working? Unable to
adjust them.
If you're careful, the switch can be taken apart, cleaned and should work again if nothing is actually broken. Is it all directions for both mirrors? If the answer is yes then it's likely the main button for selecting which mirror to work with. On the off chance - did you check fuses?

If you're careful, the switch can be taken apart, cleaned and should work again if nothing is actually broken. Is it all directions for both mirrors? If the answer is yes then it's likely the main button for selecting which mirror to work with. On the off chance - did you check fuses?
Hey thanks for the quick response. The direction button works for both mirrors, but the switch moves both mirrors in one, or two directions. I probably could have taken the switch apart, if I thought about it like you obviously did, but I ordered one so I’m just hoping the install won’t be too difficult!
But thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks for the quick response. The direction button works for both mirrors, but the switch moves both mirrors in one, or two directions. I probably could have taken the switch apart, if I thought about it like you obviously did, but I ordered one so I’m just hoping the install won’t be too difficult!
But thanks again!
Yes, partial movement is the more typical problem. Remove/Replace isn't too bad. I've always had to loosen/remove the panel - never been able to just pop out the switch. The hood release and a screw/bolt in same area are a little difficult.

What an excellent video. This is exactly how I diagnose and repair a vehicle using AllData.

"Never guess, always test".

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

^^^^^^^^^^^
Doug is correct, that video is really informative, and steps through the switches and wiring very logically!!!

Back