2002 Map light bulb replacement instructions

B

Bob S.

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
2002.. Anyone familiar with how to change a burned out map light bulb located in the inside rear view mirror? Thanks in advance.

Pry the lens off with a very small flat blade screwdriver. It’s a tight cavity to get ahold of the bulb. It pulls straight down. I think I had to pry the bulbs out a little. I replaced mine with led bulbs that I don’t remember the number of. Much brighter and very white light. The Courtesy lamps under the dash are the same bulbs. Makes the whole cab much brighter when the doors are open. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Replaced the oem bulb with the led bulb purchased as above from amazon. they are way brighter as shown in the pic. Note that you will have to gently pry the bulb out unless you have very skinny and sticky fingers. It's easy to insert the new bulb on the side of instead of directly into the contacts so if your new bulb doesnt work this is likely the reason. Thanks to the previous posters for their help on this one.
t-bird map lights.jpg

Last edited:
Replaced the oem bulb with the led bulb purchased as above from amazon. they are way brighter as shown in the pic. Note that you will have to gently pry the bulb out unless you have very skinny and sticky fingers. It's easy to insert the new bulb on the side of instead of directly into the contacts so if your new bulb doesnt work this is likely the reason. Thanks to the previous posters for their help on this one.
View attachment 13017

Got my LEDs last night and literally did the same job 45 minutes ago for map and footwell lights - a VERY nice upgrade. I had to use needle nose pliers with sticky-side-out tape around the jaws to get the old map bulbs out - a PITA.

Instrument gauge lights and courtesy lights are LEDs now; maybe someday I'll do the exterior lights.

Uh - not to throw a monkey wrench into things....but these LEDs (all four of them) are staying dimly lit with the doors closed and courtesy lights off.

You can clearly see the rear view mirror map lights faintly glowing through the windshield in the darkened garage. No doubt a battery drain; are others noticing the same thing ??

The LEDs go out after about 20 minutes, it’s just luminescence from the LEDs themselves - no battery drain.

OK, I didn't have a clue about these cars maybe having CANBUS circuitry. The ones at which I have looked appear to be standard 194 tungsten bulbs... To get LEDs for my 2003 I went by the bulb list in the owner's manual and still have half a dozen LED bulbs to so something with. The marker lights have been installed and except for the front ones staying dimly lighted for awhile when shut down, they're doing fine. Our temps are down around zero and I am waiting for a bit of warmth to tackle the others. Will non CANBUS bulbs work at all, or will they completely fold up the electrics?

Back