2002 Hardtop release lever stuck

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
The passenger side hardtop release lever will not release the top mechanism. It moves to it's full range but the top is not released. Any way to release it ? No amount of jiggling, pushing and pulling will get it released for removal. Help please.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Everyone has a question or issue. When you post, summarize what your post is about to get more responses. Your subject "2002 Hardtop Issues" has been updated.

model-year-TBF.jpg

The passenger side hardtop release lever will not release the top mechanism. It moves to it's full range but the top is not released. Any way to release it ? No amount of jiggling, pushing and pulling will get it released for removal. Help please.
The passenger side of the top has the handle release going through a wired retainer ring that supplies the voltage for the defrost window. It appears it might be blocking the release some how. Make sure the release handles on booth sides are pushed fully pushed back toward the trunk, It is possible that the driver side may not be fully back as far as it can go thus giving you the impression what fully back looks like. I also would make use of the "T" handle wrench to fully unscrew the two front screws attached to the windshield frame so as to allow more wiggle in loosing the top releases.

The passenger side of the top has the handle release going through a wired retainer ring that supplies the voltage for the defrost window. It appears it might be blocking the release some how. Make sure the release handles on booth sides are pushed fully pushed back toward the trunk, It is possible that the driver side may not be fully back as far as it can go thus giving you the impression what fully back looks like. I also would make use of the "T" handle wrench to fully unscrew the two front screws attached to the windshield frame so as to allow more wiggle in loosing the top releases.
Are you aware of any method to reach the underside of the release Mechanism to see what the problem is ?

Back