2002 Fuel pump line fitting repair

ScooterDog
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
While replacing the passenger-side fuel pump, I broke one of the 90 degree plastic fittings that insert into the pump. A quick search shows this hose is obsolete. Any suggestions how to repair this?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

While replacing the passenger-side fuel pump, I broke one of the 90 degree plastic fittings that insert into the pump. A quick search shows this hose is obsolete. Any suggestions how to repair this?
Can you post a photo of the part?

Hope you solve your problem, I think the reason why your fitting broke is because the old pump is missing the plastic taps that you press that releases the fitting, with out it is almost impossible to release it.
FG1340A__ra_p.jpg

Maybe carefuly cutting the old plastic pump.
This is how it works, when you insert the fitting and push down it stars to lock in place, then when you press the two tabs it opens the metal clips that are inserted inside to release the fitting and then you can pull it out.
Without those tabs it would be almost impossible to remove the fitting.
20221003_191334.jpg20221003_191403.jpg

20221003_191434.jpg

Attachments

• 20221003_191403.jpg
    20221003_191403.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Hiw do u get these buggers to release

All i want is location of hot pin on connector
Can anybody answer my hot pin question, why did u cancel it Biddle No where can i find sn answer

Hot pin question difficult to answer because thee Ford shop manual & shop electrical wiring manual do NOT address the fuel pump motor other than removal/replacement. The electrical info is directed to the Ford Powertrain Control Emission Diagnosis manual which usually very difficult to purchase.
HOWEVER this may help:
F4.17 15A fuse located in the Battery Junction Box is hot uses a Rd/Bu wire which then goes to the Fuel Pump relay in the Battery Junction box uses pin 3 of connector C446. When relay closes power then goes to pin 5 of Connector C446 on a Gn/Rd wire. Then onto the fuel pump motor.
Hope this helps you out.

Currently, I’m in the middle of replacing the fuel pump in my 2002. I had a similar issue occur but the white locking ring broke when I was pressing the tabs. Yep, stuck fuel fitting and thought it impossible to remove. Not to be defeated I removed the white locking ring, basically tore it off, and used a pick to remove the orange insert (shown in the picture the previous post). iThe insert is soft and was easy to remove. Once it was gone the fuel line fitting came right out. My goal was to save the fuel line elbow fitting, everything else comes on the new pump. Just thought I would capture this evolution.

In regards to this post, does anyone know where to purchase the ‘stem-barb elbows on the Fuel return line (part number KFL-18? This part is discontinued and the plastic/nylon elbows are hard to find. I want to buy me a few replacements. NAPA/ O’Reillys/Autozone doesn’t have a listing for them.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: Rap
BEWARE If you damage the right angle fittings on the Fuel pump! So far have not found a replacement
Plenty of Pumps Available from 60 to 300 dollars YET not a single fitting Strange when these were
used on Lincoln and Jaguars. If anyone has a Clue to where these can be sourced It would be appreciated.

You are going to need to get this part at a junk yard, or a used dealer of T Bird parts. I have replaced two fuel pumps, and both
times these press to release fittings gave me a hard time. You have to put a little oil in the press fitting, then press release ring
and wiggle and carefully pull up on elbow fitting, it will eventually release, takes time and patience.

Ok Seems that the right angle hose fittings are actually a part of the entire fuel line assembly
Thank you justice for the part number KFL-18 Going to try from a salvage yard otherwise
might have to 3D print my own Oh Weel

The easiest fix is find a brass fitting that matches the connector fuel pump side and adapt to the fuel line barb side. Here’s a link you need to figure out the size and dimensions and to adapt the present line you have

You are correct you need to remove the broken fittings and replace them your correct size for the line size barb and the connect to the push in fitting with a elbow then you have the same basic configuration as the original except it’s brass, not sure what your point is once the old broken piece is removed from the fuel line replaced with brass fitting secure it with a barbed fitting clamp it add the proper push fitting with a elbow and you’re all set.

Well looks like I am gonna have to drill and tap I tried a 3/8 stainless pipe it just ruined the lock mechanism OOPS!
Not much meat on the bone for tapping but it will be a last resort. Only other option is to drill through and use connector to internal hose
Thanks all suggestions are really appreciated

Back