2002 Check Engine Gas Cap Light on

Sgt C.J.

Sgt C.J.

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Went to my local ford dealer today to get the gas cap light checked.Was told it could lead to some expensive repairs.After an hour,car was ready to go.I was told that I might need A Canister Purge Valve and A Vent valve. But they can't get them from Ford. If I can find them,they will put them in for me. Can anyone out there help me with these valves ?
Thanks
cj

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Tips for posting in the future.
1- Model year in subject.
2- Do not post parts/cars for sale or wanted in the general forums
3- Do not post a photo of your car inside every post. Share photos of your car here- https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/thunderbird-photos/albums/
4- Use the Search Page to find old old posts with answers. Your post automatically includes links to all the parts you mentioned, click them.
Thanks! I've updated your subject to include your model year and moved your post to the parrts wanted forum.

model-year-TBF.jpg

Went to my local ford dealer today to get the gas cap light checked.Was told it could lead to some expensive repairs.After an hour,car was ready to go.I was told that I might need A Canister Purge Valve and A Vent valve. But they can't get them from Ford. If I can find them,they will put them in for me. Can anyone out there help me with these valves ?
Thanks
cj
Hello, have my check gas cap light on were you able to get it fixed? Thanks.

Hello, have my check gas cap light on were you able to get it fixed? Thanks.
You need to use an OBDII Reader to check your computer codes. Many shops can do a smoke test on your EVAP system to find a leak which can be anything from the gas cap, to a leaking evap canister as noted above or a purge valve stuck. It's a closed system sort of like AC so if there is a leak you will get that error. The OBDII will give you a code that will help narrow it down to a small or large leak.

My Fixed OBDII reader says just gas cap, possible seal needs replacement on cap.
But what is the actual ODBII error code number? In any event, this is answered in previous posts above, so refer to those responses. Gas cap links are in the text links or here-

Just have same issue come up with my 2004. Idiot light came on for gas cap.I first checked my gas cap. On and closed. My Fixed OBDII reader says just gas cap, possible seal needs replacement on cap. Please keep posted on your issue. thanks DHH
Hi, just turned cap one way then another pressed with hand then next day drove light went off. If it keeps happening I'll buy a new cap.

I just fiddled with cap and no more light. Got off this time easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought a 2004 with 29k miles. A light says the gas cap is bad. The web says an F-150 replacement will work. Is this the same as original? TIA

Back