2002-2005 transmission service

G

Gunther10

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Greetings. My black and tan '05 with 34K is going into Beach Ford (Virginia Beach) for a state inspection and turn signal malfunction soon as I haven't purchased an OBD II tool yet (Procrastination is Sloth in 5 syllables), and while she's there I was considering a transmission fluid/filter change. I've had the vehicle for 2 years and nearly tripled the odometer mileage...she was a garage queen. But I bought it to drive. I've changed the engine oil and filter 2X since I got her and I'll be doing that myself again when I get her back next week: I use Mobil 1, 05/20 oil and Motorcraft filters. I love this car. Haven't had as much fun since my brand new '70 Duster 340 torqueflite, G/Pure Stock turned 13:91 @ 101+ at Michigan's Martin US 131 Dragway Sundaaaay!!! The T-bird's last owner logged 500 miles in 5 years before I got her so I'm curious as to whether or not it is practical/suggested to flush the transmission fluid and change the filter. Lastly, regarding the OBD II: I'd like to have access to transmission codes, engine codes, drivability codes, etc. and suggested fixes in the tool. There are several available on Amazon ranging in price from FIXD @ $20 to Foxwell @ $210 and higher, but which are actually useful and accurate for a DYI owner of '02-'05 Birds? I'll certainly need one as the turn signal glitch is not the last hiccup I'll experience with this car. Thank you all for your time and regards.

Transmission flush is BS. Don’t have that done as it just sends any metal or trash through the transmission causing problems later. Just change fluid and filter make sure to drain the torque converter as well. You should be fine. You will need the special tool to add fluid to the trans.

Back