2002-2005 Gas Tank Replacement

G
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all!

I’m brand new here and am in desperate need of help. My wife’s 2002 Thunderbird is in need of a replacement gas tank, but it appears they’re discontinued and I can’t locate one in ANY warehouse. I’m close to calling salvage yards, but my fear is that the tank there wouldn’t be in any better shape. I also might consider an aftermarket performance gas tank. I’m wondering if anyone has had any luck installing one of those and has any advice on whether or not we’ll need to fabricate some parts. You guys are the experts here so I’m hoping one of you can offer us some much needed insight as to where we might find a tank. Thanks in advance for your help!

What made you decide you need a gas tank ?
Is it ruptured ? Rusted out ? Collapsed (yes, it happens) ? Broken filler neck (sorta common) ?
These cars use a "saddle" tank with dual fuel pumps and I think it would be hard to find an aftermarket tank that would fit.
gas tank.jpg

Last edited:
What made you decide you need a gas tank ?
Is it ruptured ? Rusted out ? Collapsed (yes, it happens) ? Broken filler neck (sorta common) ?
These cars use a "saddle" tank with dual fuel pumps and I think it would be hard to find an aftermarket tank that would fit.
View attachment 18540
Go to Thunderbird bobs retro Thunderbird. He is on fb and has a web site. I noticed yesterday that someone had a tank for sale. If you search you should find it or send him a msg on fb msgr..
Best of luck….

Need help regarding this part…3004z-9002-AB…Check engine does not go off… Been at the shop many times… Originally told I needed a new transmission… Got that… Changed oxygen sensors… Did some type of repair to the fuel tank… new manifold intake valve … I told I really need the above mentioned part… Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Hope I’m posting us in the correct spot. Thank you very much.

A smoke test revealed a leak at the vent valve on top of the fuel tank. Looks like the seal is leaking... Cannot find a replacement valve that fits this car. Any suggestions on sealing the existing valve or installing something from another car that will work? Thanks for your help!!

Back