2002-2003-2004-2005 Ford Thunderbird EGR Valve Vacuum Modulator F63Z9J459AA

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
2002-2003-2004-2005 Ford Thunderbird EGR Valve Vacuum Modulator F63Z9J459AA

Buy on Amazon- https://amzn.to/2KqC3TE

Buy on EBay- Click here

EGR-F63Z9J459AA.jpg

Also see- Ford Thunderbird EGR Valve Motorcraft CX2059

Last edited:
HELP!! 2002 Thunderbird. The Canister Purge Valve for this car is no longer available. Standard Part CP671, Ford Part XW4Z9C015AB. The Ford version is obsolete as well. I can't even find a used one. Has anyone had any luck with a new purge valve from a different model? I've been looking at the CP677 that looks similar, but I hate to buy it if it won't work? It fits other Fords from the same era. Thanks.

Before you replace that solenoid valve, read this. I need to own a 1998 Pathfinder that threw the code for the same problem. YouTube to the rescue and I suggest you look there.

Here's what was going on. The Evap Canister holds a brick of activated charcoal which over time begins to disintegrate in the form of small particles. A hose leads from it to the solenoid valve. When the engine is running, the solenoid opens and manifold vacuum sucks on the cannister and the particles. Eventually the particles clog the hose and solenoid valve and it all stops working and throws a code. A new brick was $500.00 and sets you up for the same problem down the line.

The answer? Per YouTube, disconnect the hose between and blow clear with air. Took wife and I 12 or more back and forths before before it cleared. Replace the solenoid now AND, re-plumb the cannister outlet with fuel hose and install a clear fuel filter as close to the cannister as you can using hose clamps.

The filter stops all particles and requires emptying every now and then.

I did it all and it worked well for 7 years. What do you think?

The cause of the problem with your canister purge valve is the evaporative canister itself. You have to correct the cause before you replace the canister purge valve. One of the most common charcoal canister problems is caused by “topping off” your gas tank, which can cause an overflow of fuel to flood the canister. Bobwheeler gave a good explanation why your canister purge valve is mechanically failing, but I would replace the evaporative canister instead of installing a filter to trap the loose particles that I have to change every now and then.

Evaporative canisters are not that expensive. Here are two canisters parts:

MOTORCRAFT CX1671 {F6DX9D653BA, F6DZ9D653BA} Dual Canister Assembly

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS (CP3070 Alternate/OEM Part Numbers}

resevoir.jpg

I'm sure that you can find cheaper ones, but remember you get what you pay for.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Back