1997 V6 thunderbird Hesitation on hard acceleration from stop

D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1997 ford thunderbird that seems to not wanna take off from a full stop. The engine acts like it's gonna die completely, and then after a few seconds it picks up like nothing happened. I am hearing a slight "ticking" but it's coming from the spark plug wires, I'm going to be replacing the plugs and wires because the car could use it for sure. It did have some bad gas from sitting for a good while, but a few tanks have been run through it and I really can't tell if theres any sort of change at all.

This issue ONLY seems to occur when hard accelerating from a full stop, while in higher RPMs, it's either less obvious or gone entirely.

I appreciate any and all suggestions, thank you for your time.

I have a 1997 ford thunderbird that seems to not wanna take off from a full stop. The engine acts like it's gonna die completely, and then after a few seconds it picks up like nothing happened. I am hearing a slight "ticking" but it's coming from the spark plug wires, I'm going to be replacing the plugs and wires because the car could use it for sure. It did have some bad gas from sitting for a good while, but a few tanks have been run through it and I really can't tell if theres any sort of change at all.

This issue ONLY seems to occur when hard accelerating from a full stop, while in higher RPMs, it's either less obvious or gone entirely.

After swapping out the plugs and wires, the next logical step would be to check the fuel system, including fuel filter, pump, injectors..

My '96 V8 T-Bird had a similar problem. After changing various engine parts with no success, I resorted to using STP Fuel Injector Cleaner. It worked wonders! I put it into a full tank of gas and the problem cleared up. I used it for the next two or three tankfuls and the problem hasn't returned. Now I use it every couple of months to prevent the problem from recurring. It is readily available and an inexpensive solution to a potentially dangerous problem.

Back