1996 T-Bird Oil change

defbird96
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I had the oil/filter changed at a local Valvoline quick change which in the past has done quality service on several other vehicles on have owned, including a pickup and a van. After specifically requesting 5W-30 semi synthetic, which the "Bird has previously used for its 69,000 mile life, I found after the fact that they had used 5W-20 semi synthetic.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Interesting... I would go back and talk to a manager, it sounds like you didn't get what you paid for.

I guess my real question is, would leaving the 5W-20 in have any negative effect on the motor? Is it too thin for a '96 4.6 V-8? Yhis car gets only about a 1K of use for a year. Engine seems to be running fine on the 5W-20.

What oil does it call for? I know a lot of newer cars use 5-20. These newer engines run higher oil pressure and have smaller oil passages. If it calls for the 5-20 don't run heavier oil.
I remember back when these motors came out some were blowing oil filters off with 10-40 and 20-50.
If it does call for 5-20 they won't put heavier oil in because of liability.

What oil does it call for? I know a lot of newer cars use 5-20. These newer engines run higher oil pressure and have smaller oil passages. If it calls for the 5-20 don't run heavier oil.
I remember back when these motors came out some were blowing oil filters off with 10-40 and 20-50.
If it does call for 5-20 they won't put heavier oil in because of liability.
'Bird has previously ONLY used 5W-30 semi synthetic. All seals are tight, no oil leaks anywhere. I'm the second owner, and car was babied by the original owner. I will monitor engine, and maybe drain 1 to 2 quarts and replace with 5W-30 if anything doesn't seem right.

Back