1992 EFI V6 starter relay solenoid wiring diagram

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Purchased car, brought it home on wrecker. Ignition just clicks…will not turn over. Replaced battery still have same problem. Bought new starter relay and installed but now car wants to start when I reconnect battery. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for installing the new relay?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Purchased car, brought it home on wrecker. Ignition just clicks…will not turn over. Replaced battery still have same problem. Bought new starter relay and installed but now car wants to start when I reconnect battery. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for installing the new relay?
You are not going to find this type of information on a 1992 online. Your best bet is to look on ebay for service manuals , etc.

Evidently you have a wire or two in the wrong place. So first off make sure that the terminal that holds the wire going down to the starter only has the one wire on it. Next let's look at the other terminals. (It's been a while since I had an early'90s bird)
Do you have a 3or4 terminal solonoid?
If a 4 one of the small posts will be marked with an "s" and the other an "I".
Usually these have a molded end bent at 90 degrees.
Take both of them off. Use a volt meter and determine which one gets power when the key is turned all the way. That one goes on the "s" terminal.
I believe it was sometime in the '90s they dropped the auxiliary ignition wire off the solonoid.( I guess the computerized ignition didn't need it).
With the 3 terminal solonoid again the starter wire is by itself and everything else is on the battery side except the solonoid wire. It would also have to be found with a volt meter.
Can you post a picture? It may help if the above doesn't work for you. Good luck!

Ok, from the picture I think the battery is on the wrong side, the battery cable is the red one, right?
Or the other wires need to be moved.
Try to follow where they go. Remember that there should only be the starter wire on the one side.

Ok, from the picture I think the battery is on the wrong side, the battery cable is the red one, right?
Or the other wires need to be moved.
Try to follow where they go. Remember that there should only be the starter wire on the one side.
@74 Harley- I hope this pic helps.
The wire with the green arrow goes over to the alternator
The wire with the orange arrow is the s terminal connection
The wire with the blue arrow runs to the bottom of the car. I assume connects to solenoid on starter
The wire with the pink arrow runs to the bottom of the car. the end that you see is shaped like a Y that supposedly fits on both terminals
The wire with the yellow arrow is the positive battery cable

5ACFA6E7-F3C6-4F8A-9BA9-47307B8C5FF0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, now that you have done all the hard work, it appears in your first picture that the green arrow wires (alternator) are opposite the battery cable. This would be incorrect.
This leaves us with blue to figure out.
The pink (y connection) needs to be checked to make sure which side goes down to the starter and that will tell you which side the battery cable (and it's friends) hook up.
Does this car have a solonoid on top of the starter?
Try moving green and blue to the battery side and give it a go. Good luck!

74 Harley my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I have been working alot of late hours so T- bird has been put in back burner. I did manage to get a pic of the starter and yes the solenoid is on top of the starter. This pic is not great so let me know if it doesn't help and I will try to get another one. I do also think the ignition switch is bad because it is loose
0731211930a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be going home on Monday 8-9. I may have more info to help you. Yes that picture really helps!

Evidently you have a wire or two in the wrong place. So first off make sure that the terminal that holds the wire going down to the starter only has the one wire on it. Next let's look at the other terminals. (It's been a while since I had an early'90s bird)
Do you have a 3or4 terminal solonoid?
If a 4 one of the small posts will be marked with an "s" and the other an "I".
Usually these have a molded end bent at 90 degrees.
Take both of them off. Use a volt meter and determine which one gets power when the key is turned all the way. That one goes on the "s" terminal.
I believe it was sometime in the '90s they dropped the auxiliary ignition wire off the solonoid.( I guess the computerized ignition didn't need it).
With the 3 terminal solonoid again the starter wire is by itself and everything else is on the battery side except the solonoid wire. It would also have to be found with a volt meter.
Can you post a picture? It may help if the above doesn't work for you. Good luck!
Try bat cable from start relay on starter is shorted to something at the end.

Back