1989 Super Coupe Performance Upgrades

P
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am buying an 89 TbIrd SC from the original owner. Any recommendations to more power out of this Auto equipped car?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Speed is a question of money, how fast do you want to go?

Well, I would like for it to at least be as quick as my 2018 Maxima. :) I know it is quicker than my old 87 TurboCoupe, lol

You could look into reprogramming, changing the belt pulleys for a little more boost may help.

I am buying an 89 TbIrd SC from the original owner. Any recommendations to more power out of this Auto equipped car?
First step, go to this website ... https://supercoupeperformance.com....it is the grandaddy of all parts and performance sites for the SC. Parts that give you the biggest bang for the buck are upgraded throttle body, pulleys/belt tensioners, big bore throat SC top cover and the list goes on and on. It also has used or rebuilt parts for sale.

Hey guys so I bought an 89 SC from my uncle it sat for like 15 years in his garage so it's been a lot getting this thing right! Great condition I put all new fluids, tune up ,tires rims, hidro boost rebuild it runs ok but doesn't have a lot of power when i take off goes at first then Boggs down takes off after about 45 -50 then it has the boost kick in so I'm wondering why there is no power down low any thoughts or has that happened to anyone?

Do you have a boost gauge? It sounds like you are not getting boost on the low end. ( Or it may be taking too long). I would also look for a sticking/ leaking egr valve. I don't remember if this engine has a waste gate, but if it does make sure it's not sticking. Take a look at the map sensor and check the sensor that reads boost. You may have both, make sure the lines are clear. The computer needs to accurately read boost to supply correct fuel amount.
I hope this helps, I have not owned an S/C, and it's been over 20 years since I worked on one.

Back