1988 turbo coupe over heating

krod

krod

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This car I am only driving to car shows . And the temp is ok driving to show but after coming home I always notice the temp is high . The oem gauge alway shows that the temp is good , so I installed an aftermarket gauge and that one shows that it runs hot On the way backup to 220deg . I did flush the radiator 2X with just a little improvement . Should I be concerned?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Have you actually checked the temperature with an infrared thermometer? Just because you installed a new gauge does not mean it is right. Most of these are made in China and their accuracy is highly questionable.

The one I installed is made in China. Guess I will have to get an infrared thermometer, any certain brand ? Thanks

I bought mine from Cornwell, and I have been very happy with it. It can be a great diagnostic tool.

Just posting as a 1986 SVO owner, I kinda went thru all this on my 2.3T some 5 years or so back....from what I gather from your post, could be several things, first off, I've never been big on radiator flushing,swapping coolant every couple years should eliminate the need for flushing because you think you've went to the point of needing a flushing.....remember radiators are about $125. or used to be....second off, If you have never changed the coolant sender, change it, it's not so much the mileage on it as is the years might be getting to it.....last but not least, your controller mounted inside under the steering column may be starting to act out, I've seen this more often on cars that live down south in the humid soup......and that inside controller is getting harder and harder to find, if you don't have a extra one and plan on keeping that T.C. for a while better get looking for one...............Long story short, a couple years ago on my '86 SVO with 26k on it, I replaced the radiator, the thermostat(192), the coolant sending unit, and the controller inside(think I got that from NAPA) BUT now she works like new, Ive been very happy.......hope this SVO owner has been helpful in some manner.......OH, I've owned my SVO since 1989......................

Back