1988 Dripping Fluid out of Exhaust Pipes

C

CrazyFazy1969

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
HELP !! I have a 1988 T-Bird Turbo Coupe - 5 speed manual transmission. Just had the turbo charger rebuilt and installed. Now I have fluid dripping out of my exhaust pipes just sitting in the driveway warming up. Smells like it might be an oil and coolant mixture. The exhaust actually sounds like it's "bubbling". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

HELP !! I have a 1988 T-Bird Turbo Coupe - 5 speed manual transmission. Just had the turbo charger rebuilt and installed. Now I have fluid dripping out of my exhaust pipes just sitting in the driveway warming up. Smells like it might be an oil and coolant mixture. The exhaust actually sounds like it's "bubbling". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I sent your message to the turbotbird club. Hopefully someone in that group (of which I am a member) can provide an answer. I suspect a bad seal or internal damage that occurred during rebuild.

The fluid may be water and carbon and oil. All catalytic converter cars create water. Not sure the reason you replaced the turbo but I have to assume it was either leaking oil or blown. I don’t believe these cars are liquid inner coolers if I remember correctly, did you drive the car on the highway to burn off any water that may have collected overtime in the exhaust system. Not sure why there would be a bubbling sound, unless there was a lot of water in I in that exhaust system from setting. I would drive the car for an extended period and then see what happens.

What was the problem that made you replace the turbo?
You have fluid coming from the exhaust, what about smoke?
How long have you ran it since the install?
A bad turbo could have loaded up your exhaust with oil that now needs to burn out.

Back