1986 Turbo fuel issues

M

Mikenflorida

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Working on a 1986 with the 4 cylinder turbo. Will start with help of carb cleaner. Runs rough but here’s the weird thing. It runs better with the fuel pump power disconnected at the pump. Going to change the regulator soon but it running with no pump has me scratching my head!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Working on a 1986 with the 4 cylinder turbo. Will start with help of carb cleaner. Runs rough but here’s the weird thing. It runs better with the fuel pump power disconnected at the pump. Going to change the regulator soon but it running with no pump has me scratching my head!
How long does it run without the pump?

You may have leaking injectors.

I have an ‘84 Turbo Coupe and it ran really rough and would often stall. I pulled out the Idle Air Control valve on top of the intake manifold and cleaned it out well with some MAF cleaner. Put it back together and it runs consistently great now. 120k miles and I had never changed it or cleaned it. It’s worth a try.

Back