1986 Elan Vacuum leak, transmission problem, or what?

Jb.Wilder
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Vacuum leak, transmission problem, or timing adjustment?

The kickdown cable is where the issue is.

When detached from the the butterfly arm on the throttlebottle, the engine looses a power, and hesitates to shift into 4th (od). When this happens, it goes into neutral for a second and then shifts into the 4th smoothly.

When I attach the cable, it feels as if the engine has full power, but wont shift into 4th unless I let off the gas, and will slip down into third.

Upon start, the engine will idle fast, but eventually bring itself down to a normal idle speed. If I try to drive before this, the engine stalls. My exhaust is off behind he catalytic converter. I dont seem to have a vacuum leak other than the exhaust issue.

How do you guys think?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

First thing.. do not drive the car with the Throttle valve cable disconnected. This is not a kickdown cable but a cable that controls the line pressure in the transmission, driving with that disconnected is a path to transmission replacement. As to vacuum that trans (AOD) does not use vacuum to modulate the shift points. Overdrive shifts are a common problem with a worn unit. You didn't say if your car has a V8 or V6, but since it an Elan I would assume a V8. Ford used 3 different sized shift valves for the OD shift in these units depending on the trans application, V6, V8, or truck. This was done to make the trans shift feel smooth, read mushy. Another thing is that with the Ford stock valve body it was never designed to shift into OD under a lot of power, OD shifts after reaching cruising speed with very little throttle input. If yours is worn a rebuild with a modified valve body would be the way to go. Go to Bauman transmission website and read all the info they have on the AOD, it will help
Good luck
Ed

Here is a better link.. https://www.becontrols.com/aod.shtml

Last edited:
The above is great advice, but you can start with a trans flush and make sure to replace the filter and use the correct fluid.

First thing.. do not drive the car with the Throttle valve cable disconnected. This is not a kickdown cable but a cable that controls the line pressure in the transmission, driving with that disconnected is a path to transmission replacement. As to vacuum that trans (AOD) does not use vacuum to modulate the shift points. Overdrive shifts are a common problem with a worn unit. You didn't say if your car has a V8 or V6, but since it an Elan I would assume a V8. Ford used 3 different sized shift valves for the OD shift in these units depending on the trans application, V6, V8, or truck. This was done to make the trans shift feel smooth, read mushy. Another thing is that with the Ford stock valve body it was never designed to shift into OD under a lot of power, OD shifts after reaching cruising speed with very little throttle input. If yours is worn a rebuild with a modified valve body would be the way to go. Go to Bauman transmission website and read all the info they have on the AOD, it will help
Good luck
Ed

Here is a better link.. https://www.becontrols.com/aod.shtml
Thank you!! I did not know this. I have unfourtnatley been driving it to work like this. :(

And yes it is the v8

Also thank you for the link you shared. Ive been looking for information like this for a while now.

Back