1985 Rebuild parts source and advice

sarasara_95

sarasara_95

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello, new here but I am working on rebuilding a 1985 thunderbird 5.0, and I was hoping someone here could give me some advice on where to find body pieces. I am looking for the rubber side trim that goes on the drivers side rear quarter panel. I cannot find any of this year Tbird in local junkyards etc, any help or heads up would be great. I am also open to any advice on my project. This was my grandfather's car who passed away earlier this year, it was parked about 8 years ago and has not been started or driven since.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hey sarasara, I would check ebay or facebook marketplace for that stuff. I remember seeing something like that on ebay some time ago when I was browsing around.
good luck!

Hey sarasara, I would check ebay or facebook marketplace for that stuff. I remember seeing something like that on ebay some time ago when I was browsing around.
good luck!
thanks! I tried but no luck so far, I saw on your post you removed yours and I was wondering if I may end up doing the same thing. It looks good!

thanks! I tried but no luck so far, I saw on your post you removed yours and I was wondering if I may end up doing the same thing. It looks good!
good luck!
In fact I also (think) I saw on your post that yours had been sitting for a while? Maybe you'd be able to help with another thing for me, I am debating at the moment if I should drop the fuel tank and completely empty it before starting it up again or if I should just fill it up and cross my fingers

That's too bad. Hope you figure something out! But I ended up painting all my side moldings the same color as the car, then painting the little top bit of the moldings satin black so there is some definition in the body of the car.
The old moldings were so sun damaged and nasty and hard to look at lol.
But the car definitely doesnt look bad without them on there, in case you dont figure something out.

If the car has been sitting 8 years removing and cleaning the tank is highly recommended. A new set of plug wires is also in order. You could do an internet search for Thunderbird wrecking yards and specialty houses. Someone out there has your part.

If the car has been sitting 8 years removing and cleaning the tank is highly recommended. A new set of plug wires is also in order. You could do an internet search for Thunderbird wrecking yards and specialty houses. Someone out there has your part.
thanks so much! I did order spark plugs and wires and all filters. I did end up trying to siphon was was left of the gas out but the tank was bone dry which was ideal. Filled the tank, changed the oil, got a new battery and it started right up, runs and drives beautifully! Got very lucky :)

Back