1982 Suspension & braking upgrades

BoxBird
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I would like to start a thread on this generation Tbird. I know it is probably the least favorite generation but I like them. So I would like to have a place to discuss issues and discoveries related to this generation.

To begin with I wonder about other parts that could be used. For example I know that the instrument cluster on dent side i.e. 79 f100 was used in like 1986 model vans.

I am most interested in suspension upgrades. Are there easy or exact swap parts from later model Mustangs or other Ford products that bold right up? I would like to upgrade or update to newer tech with few if any mods. For example I am interested in anti-lock brakes and /or disc brakes for the rear. I know both of those are major updates and require things like hub rings and sensors. So are there any later model systems that exactly or almost bold on to these fox body cars?

by keeping all the answers in this thread they will be a quick reference when needed.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I would like to start a thread on this generation Tbird. I know it is probably the least favorite generation but I like them. So I would like to have a place to discuss issues and discoveries related to this generation.

To begin with I wonder about other parts that could be used. For example I know that the instrument cluster on dent side i.e. 79 f100 was used in like 1986 model vans.

I am most interested in suspension upgrades. Are there easy or exact swap parts from later model Mustangs or other Ford products that bold right up? I would like to upgrade or update to newer tech with few if any mods. For example I am interested in anti-lock brakes and /or disc brakes for the rear. I know both of those are major updates and require things like hub rings and sensors. So are there any later model systems that exactly or almost bold on to these fox body cars?

by keeping all the answers in this thread they will be a quick reference when needed.

I acquired a 1981 model in late September of this year in great condition, with less than 27,000 actual miles. I really do not understand all of the negative vibes regarding the 1980 - 1982 models. Appearance in design is a matter of taste. And quite frankly the 1980 and 1981 models sold quite well (certainly not upon the scale of the 1977-1979 model years), but then again, no other T-birds ever so that well. The 1980 model production exceeded all other model runs produced from 1955 to 1976; and the 1981 model exceed all previous models from 1955-1976 save for two years 1960 and 1964. Mine is a mid-line Town Landau with maroon cloth interior and vinal top. Since these are fox bodied cars, many mechanical parts should be available.
1974 - 1976 T-Birds shared a similar frame to the Lincoln Continental, 1977 - 1979 models shared their platforms with Mercury Cougars, Ford LTD II's and Ford Torino's. 1980 to at least 1985 models share with Mercury Cougars, Mustangs, Fairmonts, etc. If yours has a 5.0L (302 CID) then running gear should be available. The problem will be with finding skin parts and the dilemma of standard 14 inch wheels. These cars, because of their smaller size
and relatively light weight, certainly do not ride as well as other older big birds, so suspension upgrades should improve your ride.

I acquired a 1981 model in late September of this year in great condition, with less than 27,000 actual miles. I really do not understand all of the negative vibes regarding the 1980 - 1982 models. Appearance in design is a matter of taste. And quite frankly the 1980 and 1981 models sold quite well (certainly not upon the scale of the 1977-1979 model years), but then again, no other T-birds ever so that well. The 1980 model production exceeded all other model runs produced from 1955 to 1976; and the 1981 model exceed all previous models from 1955-1976 save for two years 1960 and 1964. Mine is a mid-line Town Landau with maroon cloth interior and vinal top. Since these are fox bodied cars, many mechanical parts should be available.
1974 - 1976 T-Birds shared a similar frame to the Lincoln Continental, 1977 - 1979 models shared their platforms with Mercury Cougars, Ford LTD II's and Ford Torino's. 1980 to at least 1985 models share with Mercury Cougars, Mustangs, Fairmonts, etc. If yours has a 5.0L (302 CID) then running gear should be available. The problem will be with finding skin parts and the dilemma of standard 14 inch wheels. These cars, because of their smaller size
and relatively light weight, certainly do not ride as well as other older big birds, so suspension upgrades should improve your ride.
Thank you for the reply. Mine is a v8 but not sure of size yet but I think there was only one option for the v8. I drove an 82 for several years in the late 80s so I know what to expect. The ride was nice and seats comfy. But my long term plan is to pull the engine and bring it to something like 400hp, a mild build for todays standards. My concern is the old brakes. As you pointed out the skin is getting hard to find so more go without more woe could spell skin damage.

Look for a Lincoln Versailles in your local wrecking yards. They had a disc brake rear end. If a similar year may be a bolt in.

Back