1978 Power Seat and Cruise Control failing

J

John R. Dulin

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1978 ford Thunderbird with a couple of problems: (1) when climbing a hill the cruise control will disengage. I just had a mechanic check it out and he said that the vacuum lines were broken and he replaced them, but the cruise control continues to malfunction in the same manner. (2) an annoying driver's power seat problem. I have had it fixed four times. The seat will work when fixed for a few days and then it will quit working. The electric motor is good, but the switch fails.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Brake light switch or its wiring could be tripping cruise control.
Just slight gravity induced movement. Frayed wire.
Good luck.

I have a 1978 ford Thunderbird with a couple of problems: (1) when climbing a hill the cruise control will disengage. I just had a mechanic check it out and he said that the vacuum lines were broken and he replaced them, but the cruise control continues to malfunction in the same manner. (2) an annoying driver's power seat problem. I have had it fixed four times. The seat will work when fixed for a few days and then it will quit working. The electric motor is good, but the switch fails.
Hold a pressure upwards on the back of the brake pedal when climbing hills and such. brake pedal might be going down to far and tripping off the brake light switch on the column under the pedal. Make sure you do the same with your emergency brake pedal. The slightest vibration of the brake pedal or parking brake pedal could cause the brake lights to flicker and kick off your cruise control

Back