1977 Stereo Removal Help!

C

chewymangoes

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi! I am looking to install a new radio in my 1977 Thunderbird, and I cannot seem to figure out a good way to remove the old radio! It seems like the dash is entirely built around the radio. I am not familiar with the older setups for these radios so any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for reading!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It has been a long time since I had one of those but if my memory is correct the radio comes out from under the dash.
However if you remove the knobs the face trim may be removed and that may expose a removable panel that holds the radio.
I had several mid '70's birds but that was 20 some odd years ago.
Good luck!

It has been a long time since I had one of those but if my memory is correct the radio comes out from under the dash.
However if you remove the knobs the face trim may be removed and that may expose a removable panel that holds the radio.
I had several mid '70's birds but that was 20 some odd years ago.
Good luck!
So you're right. It does come out from the bottom. I've got both connectors unplugged and the bracket on the back removed. There were three screws on the top of the radio face holding it to the trim in the dash that I removed as well. As far I can see, the radio should be loose, and I am able to wiggle it up and down, but it feels like there is still something holding it to the trim in the dash, and I can't remove the trim because it is molded in with the entire dash. Any ideas what might be holding me up?

So you're right. It does come out from the bottom. I've got both connectors unplugged and the bracket on the back removed. There were three screws on the top of the radio face holding it to the trim in the dash that I removed as well. As far I can see, the radio should be loose, and I am able to wiggle it up and down, but it feels like there is still something holding it to the trim in the dash, and I can't remove the trim because it is molded in with the entire dash. Any ideas what might be holding me up?
Never mind! I am an idiot. There were two 1/4in screws going up into the radio from the ashtray. Got those unscrewed and the radio came out. I ended up having to remove the clock and housing and the gauge cluster and take it out from the top but no biggie. Thank you!!

Back