1977 Rag Joint/ Steering Coupler

Idkasp
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Greetings!

I have a lot of play in my steering wheel. I've figured out it's the rag joint. I've replaced one in a 1971 F-100 several years back. Does anyone know if I have to drop the steering column? Or any other tips or advice?

You probably do. It’s pretty tight in these cars where they stuffed the steering column at

Greetings!

I have a lot of play in my steering wheel. I've figured out it's the rag joint. I've replaced one in a 1971 F-100 several years back. Does anyone know if I have to drop the steering column? Or any other tips or advice?
Just spoke with my mechanic, and mine has the same issue. He said u can order it through O’Reillys. About 2 hours labor. I’ll keep u posted.

Thanks! I just replaced mine. With help it took about 8 hours. We're not professional mechanics either. It was pretty difficult for me. If you have any questions let me know and hopefully I can help

Ahh the rag joint..... brings back memories. So heres a hack for the next person. After i completely removed my steering column, replacing the rag, and as im abiut done re-installing it, I realized that the column is collapsable for safety incase of an accident. All you have to do is remove the bolts at the joint, pry/push the steering rod up into itself about two inchs and change it. I learned the hard way, now you dont have to!

Just had mine replaced. My mechanic said it was a bit of a nightmare. 2 hours labor. sure made a huge difference in the steering. got mine from Rock Auto, brand Lanes 203 steering coupling/joint. $18.59.

Back